BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

HMRC Classification of Commercial Jimny

More
09 Feb 2023 20:32 #247488 by lidsparris
Hello :) hoping someone may be able to advise. I am finally in a position where I am able to buy a Jimny, I’m self employed as a sole trader in the uk and am looking at buying the commercial version and will be looking to offset the cost of my vehicle as a business expense. HMRC guidelines on whether a vehicle is a car or a van are fairly grey and suggestive that the rear windows would mean they consider the commercial Jimny a car, however as it is listed as an N1 vehicle would this take precedence? I want to make sure I claim under the right bracket of expenses, I’ve discussed with an accountant who is unsure. Has anyone else been in this position and can shed some light?

Any advice much appreciated :) TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2023 21:18 - 09 Feb 2023 21:22 #247492 by Williams
Yes I went through exactly the same thing, I operate as a limited company though, but it is just myself that is employed. I had my accountant look into it and from memory from the tax side think it's complied. However I"m VAT registered and they say something along the lines of 'rear side windows need to be obscured by the factory or if covered difficult to remove'. It was the 'difficult to remove' that was ambiguous and my accountant wanted a more precise answer to what that meant which involves writing to the HMRC which takes a significant amount of time and I'd found a Commercial at a good price that I wanted to go for. So my accountant had two appointments booked in for a VAT advisor to call them and they never called. In the end I found a local company that wraps cars and they suggested using a particular adhesive that is stronger for use on tight areas when wrapping cars and said this would be 'difficult to remove' so I was advised to go with that. For me it wasn't a problem as being a Commercial I wanted the van look anyway and carry expencive work kit in the back so for security I needed the load area not to be seen. I opted for matching body colour side windows and a mat black wrap on the rear window and it looks great.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2023 21:22 by Williams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lidsparris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds