BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Drum brake pad change

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2023 10:49 #246716 by Danparry
Drum brake pad change was created by Danparry
HeyIm looking at changing my rear drum brake pads in my 06 jimny,  Could I get some tips or a how to guide from someone that's done this? I've done plenty of disc brake pads but never drum brakes, I've got no idea lol it all looks abit scary,, I don't wanna stuff it up,, so ide like as much help as I can before I attempt it.. Thanks.. Dan 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2023 11:35 #246717 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Drum brake pad change
I haven't done the job, but there is a detailed 'how to' in the wiki, see below

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Rea...ke_shoes_replacement

Let us know how it goes as it suggests that you need to replace frequently so I might have to do mine sometime.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
06 Jan 2023 11:37 - 06 Jan 2023 11:39 #246718 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Drum brake pad change
Tips
Do one side at a time, that way if it goes wrong you have the untouched side as a reference.

In the day of phones take loads of pictures, before and during, again a look back reference. 

Don't be in a rush, take your time 

They are just shoes pulled off with springs. Auto adjust / handbrake need backing off or resetting, I'll let someone else comment on these and any other bits. They are on my to do list, so never done Jimny specific but plenty of others.

The last time I looked they didn't need changing and the vehicle was 50K in, so not sure about change frequently unless it's an off road consequence. I don't off road ours. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 Jan 2023 11:39 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jan 2023 12:39 #246721 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Drum brake pad change
The trick with brake shoes is to put all the springs in place before you put the shoes on the back plate that way you have something to pull the springs apart with instead of fighting with them using screwdriver and pliers.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2023 00:54 - 07 Jan 2023 01:17 #246736 by Danparry
Replied by Danparry on topic Drum brake pad change
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go, Also, do I need to loosen the handbrake cable from the nut on the handbrake before,

When changing the pads do i have to.remove the brake cylinder from within the hub? And when it comes to adjusting the brakes once everything is fitted what's the trick there? How do I no if there properly adjusted?
Last edit: 07 Jan 2023 01:17 by Danparry.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jan 2023 04:30 #246737 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Drum brake pad change
As long as you are only replacing the shoes all you need to do is make sure you have the hand brake lever off, you don't need to slacken anything else. Once you get the drum off for which there are 2 threaded holes you wind bolts in to push it off the hub you then undo the pins that hold the shoes to the back plate and then pull the shoes apart at the top so you can get them past the retaining slot on the cylinder. I can do this by hand but I'm built like an ox you may need a pry bar. Disconnect the hand brake cable. Then you just swap out the springs between the new shoes and put it back together. To adjust there is a little oval hole with a bung in the back plate that allows you to use a flat screwdriver to click the adjustment wheel, do this until you hear the shoes dragging and then back it off 2 clicks so it runs free.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2023 05:51 #246738 by Danparry
Replied by Danparry on topic Drum brake pad change
Ok that explains it all very well, thanks heaps :)

Also is it worth changing the drum brake housing at all?? The car has 95,000kms on it,

Im changings my front rotors as they have some score marks on them,
But never thought about the rear housings,

Worth it or not really?

More
07 Jan 2023 10:09 #246742 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Drum brake pad change
I would decide when you take them off. Like disk rotors drums have a service limit measurement, it can sometimes be cast into them (not sure on Jimny where or what it is)
If you can't find this information go with a visual check.No scoring or deep recesses left by the shoes and you should be ok.
My preference with drums is to keep the originals. Aftermarket drums are a mixed bag in quality, mainly the inability to machine them correctly, it's the drum equivalent of warped rotors / disks. Just my experience, only swap them if you must.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
07 Jan 2023 11:27 #246743 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Drum brake pad change
You will probably find there is a lip or rusty material on the inside edge of the drum that makes it harder to pull the drums off. You may need to back the automatic adjuster off to allow the shoes to clear this lip. Once the drums are off I run a grinder around to remove the lip so it's not in the way when putting them back on.
The threaded holes in the drum are M8. The threads aren't particularly strong and will strip if you're heavy handed.
Also don't be tempted to pry the drums off by sticking anything in between the drum and the backing plate. The backing plate will bend and then rub on the drums. As it's double lipped it's a real pain to get it right again.
It's definitely not my favourite job to do on a Jimny!

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds