BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cold weather preparedness.

More
19 Jan 2023 15:20 #247017 by Roger Fairclough
Hi Doc.
Its possible that the position that you park the car can influence the degree of frost build up. Tonka is parked next to a tall hedge and that protects her to an extent. Also wind direction can have a strong effect.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2023 16:46 #247019 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Cold weather preparedness.
Thanks Roger,

It's parked out in the street and when I defrost it in a morning the frost is pretty uniform over the front windscreen and bonnet, so I reckon, it's still the exhaust location and the fact that the washer tube is shorter to the passenger side.

I would prefer it if the drivers side jets defrosted first, but then I guess in left hand drive cars it does. Hopefully re-routing the tube will help, otherwise it is back to pulling over and using the hand spray bottle.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Jan 2023 16:55 #247021 by Roger Fairclough
Thanks Doc.

I find that the defroster on the Gen.4 is fast and powerful. If I start Tonka and then start scrapping at the drivers side, the frost on the passenger side w/screen will be mushy by the time I get to it. Also the washer jets are clear by the time I drive off but I put that down to the 50-50 mix in the washer bottle.

Roger

More
22 Jan 2023 19:46 #247098 by Grizzlie
Replied by Grizzlie on topic Cold weather preparedness.
I find threads like these start to build up with unnecessary gear. Similar to a person's EDC where they start carrying a bottle opener, a lighter [even though one doesn't smoke], a keychain knife, a pocket knife, a boxcutter, a pocket prybar, two pairs of sunglasses, miniflashlight, fullsize flashlight, a kubotan pen, and a multitool...omg.

My daily driver's (DD} winter EDC is:
-Shovel
-Blanket
-Thermal underwear (top and bottom)
-Winter work gloves
These get taken out come summer.

I don't see the point of granola bars or water. Extra phone batteries will die quickly unless on person or charged constantly. Water freezes unless kept near a heater. Granola bars...fine, they have a long shelf life.

Mind you, this is an EDC for a Daily Driver for a normal day. Week[end] warrior mode sees granola bars and bottles of water and themoses with hot tea. Definitely throw in some recovery boards, kinetic ropes., etc etc. A backup charged phone, sure.

A healthy car battery is good to have. But I've gone through -25 to -30C winters here in Eastern Europe with a suboptimal battery on a tender overnight. Nozzles frozen? Occasionally. But I find those days are so cold that the windshields need a cleaning much less often...because it's so cold that road spray is less of a problem. [be sure to fill up on winter washer fluid].

I do remember a winter many moons ago that was -36C for a few days...my diesel VW took a day or two off way back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
28 Jan 2023 19:27 #247240 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Cold weather preparedness.
I tried wrapping a flexible washer tube round the radiator pipe and it seems to work fine so bought a small length of copper pipe and wrapped this round the pipe, seems to work great, now all we need is some -5C temperature again.

Robin

winding the copper tube on a former (axle stand)

In place and connected to the flexible pipe.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds