BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Can't select 4 wheel drive low.

More
04 Dec 2022 22:35 #246224 by windy46
Hi,   
I have just bought a 2005 Jimny and am after some advice regarding not being able to select 4 wheel drive low and the flashing green light on the dash. The car is fitted with manual locking hubs and if I am correct in thinking this bye passes the push buttons to put it into 4x4 and back to 4x2? But I am not sure why the green light is flashing continually even if i press the 2 wheel drive button. The car will also not go into 4x4L and I am not sure if this is to do with flashing green light fault or a seperate fault altogether and does fitting manual locking hubs affect selecting 4x4L as the video on you tube I have watched talks about pressing the buttons in a certain sequence etc.. Any advice would be appreciated as it came from a garage so should be under warranty but would be nice to know how to fix it myself if needed. Cheers for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Dec 2022 04:31 #246226 by Lambert
Firstly to engage low range you either have to be in neutral and stopped on an automatic or have the clutch fully depressed and car stopped on a manual. The fitting of manual hubs doesn't affect how you engage 4x4 or low range in the car, it just means that once you have selected your desired range you have to get out of the car and set the hubs to match. The flashing light is because the system thinks it has either a vacuum leak or the switch on the transfer box is defective and the likely one is that when the hubs were converted the vacuum lines weren't sealed off.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Dec 2022 08:50 #246227 by Busta
There is also a high possibility that someone had fitted manual hubs to "fix" a problem that was nothing to do with the vacuum hubs! You can't select 4wd with the hubs alone, you still need the transfer case to do it's thing and it's quite common for that system to fail.

More
05 Dec 2022 14:24 #246230 by DrRobin
Have a look in the BigJimny Wiki about the 4WD system, see the following:

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/4WD...the_newer_4WD_system

A couple of quick questions, when you press the 4WD button, do you hear a clunk from the underneath (transfer box)?

The fact that you said that the 4WD Green light is flashing, suggests that the transfer box has gone in to 4WD drive and it is now stuck (see the wiki article, but the flashing green light continues even after turning off and on the ignition).

If that is the case, then it is the vacuum which has failed. If it is just the vacuum that has failed, you can still engage 4WD but changing the manual hubs over.

The problems you now have are that the transfer box is stuck in 4WD, which wastes a bit of power turning the front diff even with the hubs disconnected and I don't think you will be able to engage 4WD-L without getting rid of the flashing light.

The wiki does detail a way of bypassing the vacuum sensor if it is faulty and you don't need the vacuum system with manual hubs.

In summary, I would take it back to the garage and get them to fix it. If the vacuum system is faulty and that is why someone fitted manual hubs, you at least want it to go between 2WD, 4WD and 4WD-L even if you have to get out and engage the hubs by yourself.

Hope that helps

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Dec 2022 14:28 #246231 by DrRobin
One guaranteed way to tell if it is in 4WD is jack one wheel at the front of the car, with the manual hub on the jacked wheel engaged, the wheel shouldn't turn as it will be locked through the transfer box and the rear wheels.

If it does turn then the transfer box is not in 4WD mode. Just to be sure, you could check that the manual hubs are working, engage both and the jacked wheel won't turn.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Dec 2022 17:12 #246234 by Busta

One guaranteed way to tell if it is in 4WD is jack one wheel at the front of the car, with the manual hub on the jacked wheel engaged, the wheel shouldn't turn as it will be locked through the transfer box and the rear wheels.

If it does turn then the transfer box is not in 4WD mode. Just to be sure, you could check that the manual hubs are working, engage both and the jacked wheel won't turn.

You need both hubs engaged to determine anything using that method. With both hubs engaged, if the raised wheel turns freely the transfer case is in 2wd. If it doesn't turn then the transfer is in 4wd. Even easier, leave the hubs unlocked, get under the car and see if the front prop spins freely or not.

More
05 Dec 2022 18:09 #246235 by windy46
Hi Robin, there is no noise/clunk when i press the 4WD button. Thanks for the reply, i will check out the link thanks and what you say makes sense.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds