BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Where to rent/hire a Jimny

More
20 Nov 2022 17:55 #246019 by Talltom1
Does anyone know of someone who rents Jimnys out by the day in the UK? I am based in London but can travel. Reason I’m asking is because there is one for sale locally near my holiday home in Spain (a gen 3, 2010 model) but I’ve never driven one before so need to find out first-hand if it’s for me. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2022 18:31 #246020 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Where to rent/hire a Jimny
I'm not sure anyone rents them in the UK. If you are looking for a car out in spain then you can certainly hire them out there (My dad has hired one in majorca). Although these will only be early soft top models and being rental cars will be used and abused so won't be a great representation of a newer Jimny but should still give you the same driving experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Talltom1

More
20 Nov 2022 22:22 #246027 by Talltom1
Replied by Talltom1 on topic Where to rent/hire a Jimny
Thanks - that is helpful. Do you know which company he hired from in Majorca?

More
21 Nov 2022 12:20 #246036 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Where to rent/hire a Jimny
He doesn’t know sorry but it wasn’t a big hire company. These sorts of cars tend to be for hire in tourist hotspots.

More
21 Nov 2022 17:51 #246042 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Where to rent/hire a Jimny
You could look for a dealer local to you with a Jimny in stock and ask if you can have a test drive.
The morel implication of having no want to purchase it from them is just something you will need to deal with, but people do a lot worse.
I test drove a Manual / auto this way, one dealer did get my cash, one did not. I just wanted to experience the difference in each gearbox before I parted with my cash.
I totally recommend you try one, they can be a shock if you are expecting a modern eurobox experience. But they are suited for narrow Spanish roads.
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 Nov 2022 18:13 #246045 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Where to rent/hire a Jimny
Or find a Gen 3 for sale on the second hand market, go and see it and try to blag a test drive. Don't mention that you are only testing it to buy one in Spain.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Nov 2022 16:43 #246066 by Talltom1
Good tips, thank you! I’m going to take the plunge and try this 2010 model out tomorrow in Mallorca canellasrotger.com/cars/suzuki-jimny/

It’s got 94,000 km on the clock. Am really excited to see how it drives, and being 6ft 4, interested to check head room. Not expecting a ‘regular’ car experience as you say. It won’t be used much off-road but hopefully good for tight windy local roads, hellish parking situations, and my tiny garage.

Any tips on what to watch out for? I have read that rust can be an issue.

More
23 Nov 2022 17:47 - 23 Nov 2022 18:02 #246068 by Scimike
Rust can be an issue, but not sure if will be as much in Mallorca!
Check behind each headlamp on the inner wing, if you can see rust it's likely the body mounts below have rotted. You can't really see these as they are behind the front wheel arch liners, but rust above is not a good sign. Also check the middle body mount area just behind the front wheel and the inner sills just to each side. After that rear body mount behind rear wheel and rear floor in boot area, it's the place the jack is stored in the very small load area. Expect some surface rust but no holes. That's the rust covered.

Check the 4x4 system works. Stationery, engine running, out of gear and steering straight ahead switch to 4WD. You will get a flashing green symbol, you should here a click as front hubs engage followed by solid green symbol. Then press 4WL, you hear a noise followed by solid yellow 4L symbol.
To get out press 4WD and wait until yellow disappears, then 2WD and green disappears. If any symbol remains flashing that is bad news, something not working. Note that each will flash slightly as each mode engages.

Oil on the back of front wheels may be a sign that the kingpin bearing are shot. Ask if they have been fixed recently or assume you will need to fix them. Not a show stopper, but about £100 in parts for both sides plus about 3 to 4 hours if you have never changed them before.

After that it's just standard car checks, condition of things. The brakes are adequate rather than "modern car" sharp, but it should stop well and in a straight line. Pulling to one side could be a stuck caliper (they can and do stick), but shouldn't be an issue if it's maintained.

Hope you enjoy the test drive. They aren't fast but are great fun.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 23 Nov 2022 18:02 by Scimike.

More
24 Nov 2022 10:55 #246079 by Talltom1
Thanks again for your tips. I’ve just driven the car and all seemed fine: fun even! The main issue for me is the soft top roof on this model. Do you know if that can be changed for a hard top? This is just the section of roof above driver/passenger.

More
24 Nov 2022 21:28 - 24 Nov 2022 21:31 #246094 by Scimike
I have seen them as part of a set comprising rear and front sections in fiberglass, so suspect they do exist. If I recall the set is a bit expensive. To be honest I quite like the idea of the front rag top, less so the rear, particularly in a warmer climate. It doesn't look beyond possibilities that you could make your own hardtop out of a light wood, then skin with glass cloth once shaped. Spray to finish. It's a method to build strong model aircraft wings, the glass coth finish is like metal and very very strong and waterproof. It's also light if you pick a light wood.  One such video of glass clothing, it's almost a Jimny roof panel

Last edit: 24 Nov 2022 21:31 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds