BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Need some assistance.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Nov 2022 11:15 #245863 by Lambert

As you can see from the above my fresh bars are unpainted stainless as I quite like the look. However while I have the box bolted on so it cannot move which is good I will not be running the box very often. Mostly the bars are just going to have various things strapped to them which is never going to be as tight a connection as those U bolt fastener. This is giving me cause for concern as the old mild steel bars are plastic coated which affords some grip especially against metal items like feed troughs. So I'm looking at something that I can use to cover the bars that has some grip but is very durable and not too ugly? I have considered pipe lagging as it comes in grey and it's easy to fit though it is easily damaged. I have also thought about something like heat shrink but I can't get it over the feet without splitting it while wouldn't work. I also thought about duct tape and again I don't think it's durable enough. Finally I thought about splitting some blue water pipe but again it's then a matter of securing it as I don't have a plastic welder. 

What other options can we think of?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2022 12:55 - 10 Nov 2022 12:57 #245864 by Abudougal
Replied by Abudougal on topic Need some assistance.
I think you can plastic coat stuff yourself, I seem to remember dipping hot metal in powder stuff at school (disclaimer - VERY long time ago) and getting quite a good result. Perhaps you can still find that stuff, take them off, heat up with blowtorch and dip?

Or maybe send to the guys who powdercoat wheels and ask if they can just do the cross bits?
Last edit: 10 Nov 2022 12:57 by Abudougal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
10 Nov 2022 13:15 #245865 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Need some assistance.
What about Handlebar tape for push bikes. Comes in all sorts of colours and finish?

More
10 Nov 2022 13:17 - 10 Nov 2022 13:18 #245867 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Need some assistance.
Plastic blue/black water pipe (HDPE) is very slippery stuff.

How about wrapping the tubes with solid neoprene strip? Do a search on eBay for solid neoprene strip and you'll find a range of sellers and sizes. Wrap the ends with self amalgamating tape to stop it unwinding.

An option I've used a few times before is radiator hose, slit down it's length. Radiator hose is pretty tough stuff. Use black cable ties to hold it in place. Ideally you want hose that has a slightly smaller inside diameter than your rail outside diameter.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2022 13:18 by LesNewell.

More
10 Nov 2022 13:41 #245868 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Need some assistance.
What is the diameter of your roof bars?

I have some black outdoor grade woven heat shrink that will go over tube 30mm diameter, possibly 31/32mm with a bit of encouragement if that would fit?

It was bought for sealing antenna connections in exposed areas and is pretty tough stuff.

Let me know if it will fit and what length you need?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
10 Nov 2022 13:47 #245869 by DrRobin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf it is bigger eBay have heat shrink up to 50mm diameter

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Nov 2022 14:00 #245871 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Need some assistance.
It's schedule 10 304 stainless tube od is 26.7mm. the feet are welded so shrink tubing is probably out as the feet are 100mm minimum. Handle bar tape sounds good as does the solid rubber.

More
10 Nov 2022 14:14 #245872 by DrRobin
Sorry, didn't realise the feet were welded on. Handle bar tape would be a good option.

The only other suggestion is what we swapped using the heat shrink at work to self amalgamating tape, (rubberised tape) which sticks to itself, just wrap it with a slight overlap. If you stretch it slightly it reduces thickness and gives a nicer finish, but might not be a neat as the handle bar tape.

Screwfix and Toolstation both sell it.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• redoregan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Nov 2022 15:13 #245873 by redoregan
Replied by redoregan on topic Need some assistance.
If it were me I'd probably use hurling tape that we put on wooden hurls for grip.

More
10 Nov 2022 15:29 #245875 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Need some assistance.
Plasti dip? It's a paintable rubbery plastic.

More
10 Nov 2022 17:34 #245880 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Need some assistance.
I use the grey pipe lagging, as you have already suggested.
QUick to fit, grips very well and provide protect for both the bar and load. You can even leave it fitted if you want, but I remove when not in use.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Nov 2022 18:38 #245881 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Need some assistance.
How do you attach it, zip ties or just it's own recognizance?

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds