BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Key fob not working

More
22 Oct 2022 19:37 #245532 by Dee92
Key fob not working was created by Dee92
Hi, new to this forum!

I bought a 62 plate Jimny earlier this week, love it already!
However, when I went for the test drive, the garage advised that the fob had just stopped working so they replaced the battery for me but it still wouldn't work. I can only use the key manually now to access the car.

I did read a thread on here about cleaning the buttons and circuit with contact cleaner. I gave that a go earlier using cotton buds. There was a bit of "mist" inside the key and general gunk/dirt which I have cleaned. However, the fob still doesn't work :(

Thinking about getting another battery just in case it's a dud.

Does anyone have any more tips or tricks? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2022 22:32 #245534 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Key fob not working
Hi,

I put a new battery in and had to ‘pair’ it again. I made some notes… not sure if this was the order that got it working in the end.

Key in ignition (driver door open)
Turn on till 2nd (lights)
Press lock and unlock
Close door
Press lock and unlock

Hope that helps.
Pete

Rocky | 2004 Gen3 M13a
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dee92

More
23 Oct 2022 07:31 #245535 by Dee92
Replied by Dee92 on topic Key fob not working
Thanks Pete! I will give that a go today, fingers crossed

More
23 Oct 2022 08:13 #245536 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Key fob not working
My key fob started getting very poor, so thought it was the battery, although when I took the battery out and measured it on a multimeter it was fine.

I also noticed quite a bit of muck in there, cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and it was good as new, so muck build up must be a common problem.

Let’s hope the re-program works.

There is a page in the wiki about reprogramming

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Key...g_transmitter,_alarm

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Oct 2022 13:53 - 23 Oct 2022 13:53 #245540 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Key fob not working
If reprogramming does not work try cleaning the buttons again, it's the common problem.
WIth the battery out drench the buttons with contact cleaner and work them on / off until the cleaner has evaporated. Then do it again but leave it all to dry for 30 minutes before you fit the battery and try again. I doubt you did much with cotton buds, it needs a tougher touch.
Good luck 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 23 Oct 2022 13:53 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds