BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

BF Goodrich KO2 or Maxxis Worm-Drive?

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
01 Oct 2022 18:25 - 06 Oct 2022 08:37 #245265 by DrRobin
So I thought I was sorted on tyres a set of Geolandars AT for summer and a set of Hankook Dynapro for winter.  Trouble is the Dynapros are just as good as the Geolandars on the road, I haven’t changed back after the BigJimny event and since I have two new Geolandars and two that need replacing I am now thinking of making my Dynapros the summer set and get something a bit more aggressive for winter.

Most of my miles are on roads with only a bit of laning, but I do want to do a bit more and given how much it has rained here I am thinking of BF Goodrich KO2 or Maxxis Wormdrive in 215/75r15.

Not sure if it makes a difference but they will be going on alloy wheels?

What does anyone think to either of these, especially for a vehicle that spends a lot of time on the road?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 06 Oct 2022 08:37 by DrRobin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Oct 2022 19:03 #245266 by Lambert
You won't go wrong with either of those. . When I was looking for my 205s I did consider the jump to the 215 to get either of those but then I found my renegade at5 and was pleased with the cost.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Oct 2022 19:51 #245267 by 300bhpton
I have the Maxxis Wormdrive on my Jimny. 215/75R15 on standard alloys. 

They have been brilliant. Really good on the road, even in the wet. And they have surpassed expectations off road. Even on some very slick wet mud. 

I was so impressed that I bought a set to go on my Land Rover 90. 

My brother has KO2’s on his 90. They are equally as good IMO. Long term I don’t know how they will compare ware wise. BFG have a good rep for longevity. But no signs of wear in my Wormdrives yet (2 years and 13,000-14,000 miles). 

I’d buy on price. Which is what I did originally. The KO2 was a lot more money. So I went with the Wormdrive and have no regrets at all. 

More
03 Oct 2022 08:14 #245280 by me101
Hi, I run Wormdive on my Gen3 with the standard alloys (215/75/15). I changed to these from the Insa Turbo and find them spot on both on and off the road.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
03 Oct 2022 09:52 - 06 Oct 2022 08:40 #245283 by DrRobin
Thanks everyone for the replies and alternative suggests/experience is always welcome.

Lambert, I like the look of the Renegade, but I am thinking they will be too similar to the Dynapros and I don't really want two sets of wheels with very similar tyres.

The Wormdrives seem to get several thumbs up, when I started looking at this a few weeks ago I had pretty much settle on BFGs (both are within budget), thanks, I might be leaning towards the Maxxis.

I am going to do some side by side pics to compare tread and side wall later.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Last edit: 06 Oct 2022 08:40 by DrRobin.

More
03 Oct 2022 09:59 #245284 by 300bhpton

I am going to do some side by side pics to compare tread and side wall later.

Robin
On first sight, you'd guess they are very similar. But they are actually very different, just a similar intent on what they needed to do.

When laning, I'd say the Wormdrive filled up slightly less than KO2. But there really is not a lot in it.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
03 Oct 2022 13:03 - 06 Oct 2022 08:40 #245288 by DrRobin

The gaps between the tread blocks looks more open on the Maxxis than the Goodrich, perhaps this is why they don't 'fill up' as much?  Perhaps this is also why the BFGs last longer, more rubber in contact with the ground?

The thing I like about both of these is that there are no groves that run the entire circumference unlike a lot of other AT tyres.  I know they are there to clear water, but in snow and soft stuff you see tyres with longitudinal groves just loose grip, there is nothing there in the grove to get a bite.

Both seem to have a small amount of tread on the side wall, that is good when they tyre has dug in.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
06 Oct 2022 08:39 - 06 Oct 2022 08:40 #245312 by DrRobin
I went for the Maxxis, got them fitted to my spare wheel set yesterday. They look the business, hopefully I will get the wheels swapped over this weekend and will post a picture/comparison against my Dynapros.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
06 Oct 2022 12:12 #245315 by 300bhpton

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
08 Oct 2022 17:46 #245334 by DrRobin
New tyres fitted and they look great

A quick test drive down some county roads and back along the main road showed they are not really any noisier than my previous tyres, they are well balanced and steering is the same as before, no wobbles or pulling.

At slow speed they felt more bouncy than my Dynapro, but that just be me.

GPS speed is now 2mph above Speedo/OBD speed at 60mph, I was expecting 3mph (5%) but GPS usually under reads unless you drive at the same speed on a flat straight road.  Fuel consumption wis expected to indicate 5% lower, but I am not doing big mileage, so it doesn’t matter.

I also tried lock to lock and the bigger tyre doesn’t catch anywhere so that good.

Overall on the road, very happy, off road should be much better.

just as a comparison, here are the 3 tyres I have used in the last 12 months, from left to right, Geolandar, Dynapro, Worm-Drive.  Quite a difference in tread, although for mostly road the Geolandar is still a very good tyre.

I am keeping the Dynapro set for the summer months and will swap to Worm-Drive for winter.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds