BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Key fob

More
24 Aug 2022 18:27 #244727 by Stonkn
Key fob was created by Stonkn
Evening.
I have recently bought a 2000 Jimny with only one key.  There does not appear to be any transponder etc in the key.....certainly no battery !    Will any key blank work with the ignition?  Thanks M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2022 07:00 #244730 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Key fob
Jimnys have a [passive] transponder (chip) in the key which controls the immobiliser. I think your 2000 model has this, but I am not 100% certain.

If you get a new key the chip needs to be programmed into the Jimny to disable the immobiliser. This is probably a dealer function unless the key cutter has the equipment.

It’s a pity you don’t have the other fob, the key part can be changed if it broken.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Aug 2022 07:07 #244731 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Key fob
Hi,

Have a look here for info on the immobiliser chip andhow to programme.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Key...g_transmitter,_alarm

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Aug 2022 18:11 #244744 by Stonkn
Replied by Stonkn on topic Key fob
Thankyou for the info - the key (metallic element) has been overmoulded eg. You cant seperate it from the plastic key 'top'. This was why I was thinking it did not have any transponder in it. M

More
25 Aug 2022 18:16 #244746 by Stonkn
Replied by Stonkn on topic Key fob
Can I just add that I read the article in the link & it appears that all of the methods to code the key involve pressing buttons on the fob....I dont have any. To unlock the car, you put the key in the door lock physically. M

More
25 Aug 2022 19:03 #244747 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Key fob

Evening.
I have recently bought a 2000 Jimny with only one key.  There does not appear to be any transponder etc in the key.....certainly no battery !    Will any key blank work with the ignition?  Thanks M
I'd say most Jimnys have an immobilizer, but it may depend on which market (country) they were built for - if it's a UK vehicle, it will.

Try having a key cut and see what happens, don't be surprised if it doesn't start - alternatively look at the instrument cluster when you're starting the car with the key you have - do you see any lights that look like a key or a padlock - if you do, then the vehicle has an immobilizer that will prevent it from starting.

Some locksmiths can clone a key that has already been programmed to the immobilizer, some can program new keys. 

More
25 Aug 2022 20:32 #244748 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Key fob
You will have a chip in the key for the immobiliser.

There are two ways forward:

1. Got to certain Timsons, but NOT all stores. They can clone a chip into a new key. However you need a good key to start with.

2. Go to a Suzuki dealer and get a new key synchronised with your immobiliser using the dealer tools

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
30 Aug 2022 15:39 #244796 by Stonkn
Replied by Stonkn on topic Re:Key fob
Many thanks....will try to find the local timsons....!! Marco

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds