BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Heavy power steering

More
19 Aug 2022 11:31 #244601 by Score
Heavy power steering was created by Score
Hello guys ,I feel my steering is too much heavy is this normanl for jimny Gen3 ?And the other problem when i turn my steering uneven lock to lock steering  as shown in the video . 

youtube.com/shorts/X7Grf54rgD8?feature=share

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DrRobin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
19 Aug 2022 11:39 #244603 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Heavy power steering
The power steering on my Gen3 is about the lightest I have had on a car in all my years on the road, so much so I had to fit a steering damper, just to make it feel more like a normal car, so suspect you have a problem.

2 days after I bought the car, it sprang a leak in the fluid system on the steering and it then went very heavy (had to use two hands on one side of the wheel to make a slow speed tight turn), so I had to take it back to the garage where they installed a lot of new plumbing. I knew it was the fluid which was leaking as a small pool developed under the front.

Perhaps your has a leak? That or it is the pump. Is the belt and pump turning and belt not slipping?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Aug 2022 11:52 #244604 by Score
Replied by Score on topic Heavy power steering
Hello Drrobin
Thanks for your advice that mean i have a serious problem ?

There is no leak at all and no sound from the belt or the pulley .
But when you turn the steering in idle rpm i feel that the fluid is not moving .

For me since i bought this car used and the steering is heavy i thought its heavy becaus a small car 4x4 safety requirements so it will not flip .

More
19 Aug 2022 11:55 #244606 by Score
And regarding the uneven lock to c
Lock steering ?

When i turn it to left it turn 1.5 turn and to the right 2 turns .

Is it also because of the power steering problem ?

• DrRobin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
19 Aug 2022 13:00 #244607 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Heavy power steering
Unfortunately I don't know too much about the steering, someone on here will know, but

Lock to Lock - uneven
If there is a difference in the number of turns centre to lock then it sounds like the steering rods have been very badly adjusted, such that with the wheels straight the steering box is not in the middle. Is the steering wheel the right way up when the wheels are straight?

There is another possibility, something is stopping the wheels from turning to full lock in one direction. Is the turning circle the same in both locks?

Heavy Steering
I suspect that the uneven number of turns and the heavy steering are not the same problem. The power [assisted] steering, just helps the steering box move, so either the power steering is not working correctly (weak pump, leaking switch unit or inefficient actuator) or there is some drag on the steering box, that the power steering can't overcome the friction.

A couple of quick questions
- Are you running on standard sized wheels and tyres?
- Do you have a lot of front end weight?
- Does it turn in one direction easier than the other?
- Are the Kingpin bearings seized?
- Does it turn easier if you jack the front of the car up?

Hopefully someone else will jump in who has a better idea than me.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Aug 2022 13:58 #244610 by Score
Lock to lock .

The steering wheel is straight and recently i made alignment but still the same .

And yes i feel like there is something blocking me from turning fully to left.

No it doesn't turn the same left is wider than right and that because of less turn it can make to the left.

Heavy steering .

Since there is no leak i suspect the pump .

Q&A
- Are you running on standard sized wheels and tyres?
American racing r15 225 25psi stock shocks and coil over.

- Do you have a lot of front end weight?
No same as brand new gen3
- Does it turn in one direction easier than the other?
Yes, it turn easier to the right than left.

- Are the Kingpin bearings seized?
Yes and already the shims installed.

- Does it turn easier if you jack the front of the car up?
Didnt try this yet

More
20 Aug 2022 07:30 #244640 by Score
Hello robin

This video the car jacked up

youtube.com/shorts/8ybzu827ae4?feature=share

This video the car is down on the ground

youtube.com/shorts/X7Grf54rgD8?feature=share

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2022 07:53 #244641 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Heavy power steering
Either the steering wheel has been moved relative to the steering column eg removed and replaced in a different orientation or the same has been done to the pitman arm on the steering box. It is possible in either case to realign the steering using the drag link but it will then put the steering box into part of its throw that has less wear so it will feel heavier. Another option is that someone has attempted to remove excess play from the steering box using the preload adjustment and set it too high but that would more likely be excessive resistance at the limit of throw in both directions evenly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Aug 2022 07:57 #244642 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Heavy power steering
You need to adjust the drag link ( the steering bar in front of the axle) so you are getting the same number of turns in both directions. This will put the steering wheel out of line, so you will need to remove and re-fit the steering wheel so it is straight.
There is an adjustment screw on top of the steering box which is used to take out any slack. It may be that somebody has adjusted this too tight making the steering heavy.

More
21 Aug 2022 08:02 #244664 by Score
thanks busta and lambert 
you guys are amazing oki i didnt solve the problem but i put my hand on it.
so here  what happen  i removed the drag link from the pitman arm and the steering wheel turn 2 and little more to left and same as to the right.
but when i connect it with the pitman arm it will make the same problem 1 and half to left and 2 and little more to the right .
and yeah now the steering wheel is not straight at all it need to refit and remove  but before that what do you recommend my next step will be to fix my turning issue?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Aug 2022 13:28 #244666 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Heavy power steering
If with the drag link removed the steering wheel has even movement side to side then it is the pitman arm that needs to be observed in its movement arc. It should mirror the steering wheel and be even side to side. Assuming that the centre point of the pitman arm matches the straight ahead position of the steering wheel you should not need to touch either. It's worth noting that the steering wheel has a thing called a clock spring in it to transfer signals to the horn and airbag and this is prone to damage if over extended in either direction if the wheel is reindexed too far from its central position on the steering column. With the pitman arm in the middle of it's travel, next set the road wheels straight ahead and then adjust the drag link so that it sits easily into the taper on the pitman arm without moving the pitman arm from its centre rest point.. it's all just rods and pivot points it's not hard to get it set right with a bit of patience.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Aug 2022 15:32 #244670 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Heavy power steering
I'm now wondering if you might have a broken CV joint that is stopping the wheel turning fully one way, or perhaps and issue with a kingpin bearing binding. With the pitman arm off and the front wheels off the ground steer the wheels by hand and see if there is resistance. The wheel should steer soothly with a consistent amount of force.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds