BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Intro'

More
17 Aug 2022 17:34 #244571 by cheytac
Intro' was created by cheytac
Evening all.  

New member here from the surrey hills looking for his first Jimny. (but about 10th 4x4)
Im an old grumpy chap trying to retire but a succession of expensive hobbies delays that happy day.
Want a DB6 but need a 4x4 as my hobbies mean a couple of times a year I do round trips to Inveness @1000miles and in a 4L Wrangler that was prohibitive!
Other car is a Saab Areo convertible so Jimny is for fishing and shooting.
Any for sale in Surrey let me know.
cheers
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2022 10:53 #244579 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Intro'
Hi Martin,

Just to say hello. I am also a grumpy old chap trying to retire, its good fun no longer being concerned about a "career" 

Can't help with the Jimny unfortunately. You may get lucky and find one locally, but be prepared to travel as they are a bit thin on the ground unfortunately. They are also "reassuringly expensive" and tend to rust, but are generally mechanically reliable. The wiki above has all the places to look / problems to expect.

Good luck in both your search and pending retirement.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cheytac

More
18 Aug 2022 15:23 #244581 by cheytac
Replied by cheytac on topic Intro'
Do we think they are expensive? compared to Landrovers, Wranglers, and Land Cruisers they seem good value to be.

More
18 Aug 2022 15:33 #244582 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Intro'
No, I think they are good value compared to Landrovers, Wranglers, and Land Cruisers.
Well the Gen 3 is, the latest Gen 4 may have reduced this margin.
They are expensive (in my opinion) if you don't care about a low ratio box and just want a 4 wheel drive vehicle. RAV 4 , Duster etc, even a 4x4 Panda can get you "off road" for less, its down to you needs and wants.
Of course this is just my opinion, being old and grumpy means every other opinion is wrong 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
18 Aug 2022 17:24 #244583 by cheytac
RAV 4 , Duster etc, even a 4x4 Panda

Just because Im old i havnt lost my sense of style, I mean flares platforms and mullets are still cool right?

Im looking around £5K that will get me round a pheasant shoot, get a carcass in the back, (deer) and have enough space for guns and fly rod.

cheers

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Aug 2022 17:32 #244584 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Intro'
A Jimny is like petrol at 2 quid a litre, expensive compared to water out of the tap but cheap compared to a 50 year old scotch, it entirely depends on your point of view.

The thing with buying a Jimny is you either have to be confident in your engineering skills/have the time to keep an old one on the road or have deep enough pockets to either buy one new enough to not need attention or pay someone to look after an older one for you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Aug 2022 17:33 - 18 Aug 2022 17:35 #244585 by Abudougal
Replied by Abudougal on topic Intro'
My rifles only just fit in the back and I have taken out the back seats, I flippin love it though, completely unstoppable off road (rarely even use 4WD) and you just instantly get used to driving a bit slower on the road. Luckily the drivers mirror is at a perfect height to use as a rifle rest, I whack a bean bag on it and it's just right.

Such a feel good car.

Not sure if a big fishing rod would fit in though?
Last edit: 18 Aug 2022 17:35 by Abudougal.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Aug 2022 18:12 #244587 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Intro'
If you go diagonally across the car passenger foot well to rear door top hinge you can comfortably get 8x 2.4m lengths of 4x2 in a Jimny.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Aug 2022 11:31 #244602 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Intro'
Have a look at this thread about a pristine low mileage 2003, it doesn't fit your budget, but shows you how the prices are going.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...room-2003-jlx#244599

Don't get me wrong, I think my Jimny is great, but it is a little small and slow for long trips away and since they stopped importing them in to the UK (except the commercial) the prices have rocketed. You might be better off looking at a Vitara 4x4, you will certainly get better value for money, more space, better on the road and just as good for the gravel tracks and odd trip across the moor.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Aug 2022 17:24 #244653 by cheytac
Happy to consider a Vitara, but if Im out in the mud in Dec feeding pheasents, will it be able to get me out of the s**t? ( can it take a winch?)

More
22 Aug 2022 08:36 #244685 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Intro'
I couldn't say how good a Vitara would be vs a Jimny in the mud, but suspect that the Jimny would be more suitable. Google Vitara and winch there are plenty of them out there.

At £5k you will definately be looking at an older Jimny, you might need to budget for some decent AT tyres and a winch, unless it comes with these fitted.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Aug 2022 14:21 #244688 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Intro'
The answer might depend on which Vitara - the current Vitara in my opinion shouldn't be taken off a paved surface (yes, I know it comes with "AllGrip"), the previous generation however, although it's no match for a Jimny, is quite capable off road, and also larger & more comfortable, two features that can be important to us older folk.

One thing to bear in mind is that a first generation Vitara is now going to be twenty years or older, and whilst they don't rot as rapidly as a Jimny, you will need take a good look underneath, especially around the rear cross members & body mounts.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds