BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Recommend me a winch

More
21 Jul 2022 15:05 #244181 by 300bhpton
Never had a winch before. But thinking it's about time to get one as the bumper has space for one.

Are they all universal fit? Or will I need a specific one to fit my bumper?

As the Jimny is lightweight, would something like an ATV winch be the way to go? To keep the weight down. Synthetic rope looks like a good idea.

The Warn AXON 55-S looks interesting. Is there anything more "budget" focused that would be similar. Or should I be looking at something totally different?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2022 15:35 #244182 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Recommend me a winch
I am going to watch this topic.

I thought about a portable winch, this one (about £370), then you can use it on the front or back for self rescue or leave it at home on the daily drive.

www.warriorwinches.co.uk/products/Winche...lity-winch-synthetic

or with wire for around £300.

I am not sure if they are any good.

Robin

B

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jul 2022 18:38 #244183 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Recommend me a winch
From what I have researched most winches in a given weight range have relatively similar mounting requirements without necessarily being universal standard. Wire rope is ok as far as it goes but synthetic is better as it is way less dangerous. If I were wanting a winch I would only consider a Warn. Specifically the 8274 not for any practical reasons but they are iconic. That said with the advent of the side by side market so much development of the 5000ish pound sector has been done that they are a sensible option for self recovery and that's all you are likely to be doing in a standard ish Jimny without hurting it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jul 2022 20:07 #244185 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Recommend me a winch
I really like the idea of the portable Warrior winch.

More
21 Jul 2022 21:59 #244187 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Recommend me a winch
I have a 4,500lb Warrior Ninja winch setup on a towball bracket. I built a removable fromt towbar so I can use it at either end of the car (or on any other car with a towball). Strength wise it is plenty for dragging a Jimny around in any normal recovery situation. But by far the best thing about it is it lives in a tool bag in my shed. No risk of theft, no problems with corrosion in the winter and no unecessary weight on the car for the 99% of the time when I know I won't need it.

I like the look of the Warn AXON winches and I'm sure they would be much better built and nicer to use than my cheapo Warrior one. They promise quite high line speeds, which is the main thing you want besides pulling power. 5,500lb would be plenty. The rule for winch sizing always was to have a winch rated at twice the vehicle weight, so 5,500 matches up perfectly with a 2,700lb Jimny. A smaller winch works with a smaller battery, so less hassle and expense there. Loads of people fit 13,500lb winches to Jimnys because they are cheap and "bigger = better" but I doubt any of them get even close to the winches full pulling capacity. it's a lot of extra weight sticking out the front of a relatively light, short wheelbase car and a lot more stress on the electrical system, or hassle with dual batteries etc.

More
22 Jul 2022 09:38 #244192 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Recommend me a winch
Hi,
This may help on the cheap, low weight idea. On for emergency use only.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
23 Jul 2022 06:36 #244196 by LM42
Replied by LM42 on topic Re:Recommend me a winch
Winchmax 13500, synthetic rope

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

More
23 Jul 2022 20:20 - 23 Jul 2022 20:21 #244198 by Soeley
I love  THIS IDEA OF A FRONT/REAR ROMOVABLE WINCH  as done by  lookonimages and would go this route if I decided it was time to get one.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2022 20:21 by Soeley.

More
24 Jul 2022 20:16 #244207 by Busta
Great minds think alike!

More
24 Jul 2022 20:30 - 24 Jul 2022 20:31 #244208 by Soeley

I have a 4,500lb Warrior Ninja winch setup on a towball bracket. I built a removable fromt towbar so I can use it at either end of the car (or on any other car with a towball). Strength wise it is plenty for dragging a Jimny around in any normal recovery situation. But by far the best thing about it is it lives in a tool bag in my shed. No risk of theft, no problems with corrosion in the winter and no unecessary weight on the car for the 99% of the time when I know I won't need it.

I like the look of the Warn AXON winches and I'm sure they would be much better built and nicer to use than my cheapo Warrior one. They promise quite high line speeds, which is the main thing you want besides pulling power. 5,500lb would be plenty. The rule for winch sizing always was to have a winch rated at twice the vehicle weight, so 5,500 matches up perfectly with a 2,700lb Jimny. A smaller winch works with a smaller battery, so less hassle and expense there. Loads of people fit 13,500lb winches to Jimnys because they are cheap and "bigger = better" but I doubt any of them get even close to the winches full pulling capacity. it's a lot of extra weight sticking out the front of a relatively light, short wheelbase car and a lot more stress on the electrical system, or hassle with dual batteries etc.Busta

Busta, have you got any pictures of your winch set up?

I am planning in my head, a 2" receiver hitch like above for the front, but hidden behind the number plate and have the plate hinged. And for the rear, do a similar set up to DR Robins NINJA winch above and fasten it to the rear recovery points with a bridle?
Last edit: 24 Jul 2022 20:31 by Soeley.

More
25 Jul 2022 08:25 #244210 by Busta
My winch is on a bakrak towball mount. I had a spare swan neck bit from a Jimny towbar so I fabbed up a bracket to attach that to the front. This also means I have a front towbar for shifting trailers and things around.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
25 Jul 2022 10:05 #244213 by Soeley
Thanks Busta, it is a really good solution to not carrying all that extra weight all the time.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds