BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

engine stutter

More
29 May 2022 07:23 #243488 by paul2u
engine stutter was created by paul2u
mornin guys , i have an 05  Jimny, which developed an engine miss or stutter on low reves, after 1500 rpm it clears and runs no problem  I am thinking it might be one of the coil packs but unsure how to test which one it is any help would be good thanx  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 May 2022 08:48 #243490 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic engine stutter
I had an aftermarket set of plug leads begin to deteriorate and they did the same thing.... I just replaced the whole lot coils and all with genuine parts and it was good. Maybe not the cheapest option to just throw parts at it but I didn't have an obvious means of testing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: paul2u

More
29 May 2022 09:22 #243491 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic engine stutter
As said they are not easy items to test and substitution is the way to check.
Sure you can test circuit resistance etc, but it won't tell you if the high voltage side insulation is failing.

You could just purchase one "pack" with secondary lead and swap until you clear the fault, but if one's failing the others not going to be far behind.
If you can afford it OEM part is the best option for this application due the the environment in which they live, aftermarket can be a mixed bag.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 May 2022 06:26 #243498 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic engine stutter
Agree with all the solutions above.
Heat is what deteriorate the coils most often so the rear coil on a jimny is most likely to fail first. Has been so on mine at least. I bought an aftermarket coil for 30£ on ebay. Not recommended of course but if you save paying for the fault finding and diagnosing at a garage and man hours, you can swap it for quality later when you found what it is.
My coil failures have both been intermittent linked to temperature on the Swift and the Jimny (same engines and coils). In your case it might also be more likely the plugs and leads.
Same coils on older suzukis and most Suzuki models as well so a used one is also possible. I got several now but live in Norway..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds