BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 3 Tyre Sizes - Sorry In Advance

More
22 Jan 2022 20:49 #241417 by louchy
Good Evening All,

I have been reading through as many of the tyre threads as possible, and I am still a little confused, so would really appreciate the advice of all the experts (really sorry for adding yet another tyre thread )...

First Question

From what I can gather so far the maximum size of tyres on standard Get 3 alloys with a MK1 bumper and no lift, without any rubbing (or mods required) would be:

New Tyres: 215/75/15         - (BFG, General Grabber, Kumho etc.)
Remoulds: 195/80/15           - (Insa Turbo etc.)

Did I get this correct??? If not please advise....

Second Question

Would the same maximum tyre size quoted above, still fit without rubbing on a set of new 0-offset steel wheels from Jimnybits or Raptor4x4? Or would the difference in offset of the steels cause some rubbing or mods needed?

Third Question

What would be generally recommended, a set of new tyres, like the BFG's for example at the larger size, or remoulds? I suspect my driving will be 80% off road and 20% on road. I am edging towards 215/75/15 BFG AT's , but any recommendations for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Final Question

Would all options mentioned above still look ok after a 2" lift? I plan to get the tyres first and do some off roading, then do a spring lift if I feel its required, which I suspect it will be rather quickly. To be honest, I might even just get the lift done at the same time as the tyres as I tend to be quite impulsive 

Once again, sorry for all the questions, I hope when I learn some more, I can contribute to help others on here. And as always, all advice is hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
Modular Steel Wheels + Manual Hubs
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Breathers (Diffs, Transfer Box, Gearbox)
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Jimnybits Armour (Diffs, Transfer Box, Fuel Tank, Shock Mounts, Rad Arms)
Front & Rear Recovery Points
Front & Rear Lightbars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jan 2022 06:05 #241420 by Lambert
You are right about the sizes on standard wheels. The issue with the steel after market wheels is not only the off sets but also the additional width of the wheel causing the tyre to be more stretched at the bead which can also affect body clearance. Its also worth mentioning that the tread pattern will also have a bearing on clearance too as a more aggressive pattern will have more shoulder and side biters which will reduce clearance. Generally speaking though 215s and 195s are usually fairly straightforward to fit.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: louchy

More
23 Jan 2022 07:01 #241421 by me101
I'd agree with Lambert. Also, if you go for a 2" lift, they will still look fine. I have had both sizes (195/80 Insa Dakar and currently 215/75 Maxxis Wormdrive) on my 2" lift.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
23 Jan 2022 09:51 #241422 by louchy

You are right about the sizes on standard wheels. The issue with the steel after market wheels is not only the off sets but also the additional width of the wheel causing the tyre to be more stretched at the bead which can also affect body clearance. Its also worth mentioning that the tread pattern will also have a bearing on clearance too as a more aggressive pattern will have more shoulder and side biters which will reduce clearance. Generally speaking though 215s and 195s are usually fairly straightforward to fit.
Thanks Lambert, that's really helped.

I think I will go with some 215/75/15's, and my choices are to either fit to my standard alloys then switch to lift / steels later, or I do it all at once.

Thanks,
Chris.

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
23 Jan 2022 09:52 #241423 by louchy

I'd agree with Lambert. Also, if you go for a 2" lift, they will still look fine. I have had both sizes (195/80 Insa Dakar and currently 215/75 Maxxis Wormdrive) on my 2" lift.
Thanks Me101, good to know that I can do it in stages and the tyres will be ok pre and post lift 

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
24 Jan 2022 08:19 #241448 by yakuza
Also important with larger tire size is the gearing. more than 215 will affect the performance. Next step 235 tires on a 80hp m13a with original gears is very boring, i know, i been there. And your low range is less useful as well so no apperent improvement other than the looks.

Stay with the 215 until you can change the gears.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
24 Jan 2022 08:23 #241449 by louchy

Also important with larger tire size is the gearing. more than 215 will affect the performance. Next step 235 tires on a 80hp m13a with original gears is very boring, i know, i been there. And your low range is less useful as well so no apperent improvement other than the looks.

Stay with the 215 until you can change the gears.

Thanks Yakuza,

I will definitely stick with the 215’s for now. I’m sure the 215’s with a 2” lift will be more than enough for what I want to do with it.

Thanks,
Chris.

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
24 Jan 2022 13:20 #241457 by DrRobin
This is a good site if you want to compare sizes

tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

It's in the US, but don't let that put you off.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Jan 2022 21:16 #241468 by louchy

This is a good site if you want to compare sizes

tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

It's in the US, but don't let that put you off.

Robin
Thanks, that's a really cool tool... Just had a play, nice to see the wheel sizes that each tyre size fits. Makes life much easier..

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Jan 2022 05:29 #241474 by Lambert
Don't put too much faith in the online calculator things for wheel width information. Unfortunately most of these use the basic requirements of a car tyre of usually less than 50pc aspect ratio. 4x4 tyres are designed to run on a narrower wheel as a general rule. Legally each manufacturer is supposed to provide a set of minimum and maximum wheel widths for each model and size of tyre they produce but they often hide this information deep in their website. There is a national or international body that collate this information but I cannot remember what it is called or even if it is trade only.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds