BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Here - Just Bought a Jimny!

More
16 Jan 2022 08:52 #241203 by louchy

Looks nice and tight. Was it well looked after ?

So it’s 2 lady owners before me, and doesn’t seem to have been used off road…

Service history is pretty non existent apart from the early days, but upon checking the coolant and oil, it is clear that it’s been serviced regularly, oil is fresh with no bits, coolant is actually coolant, and no signs of sludge or rust.

The original battery was on its last legs, so I have replaced with a new Yuasa YBX5057 (thanks to the recommendations on here), and had to fix the heater flap mechanism.

There is also some corrosion under the wheel jack which needs sorting, but was only an advisory on the last MOT, so I am hoping my local wizard can sort it, he will cut it out, replace, weld and seal.

Also 5 new tyres on it, albeit road tyres 

All in all it was a risky buy from
a main dealer PX to clear, but I picked it up for £2,500 so it was a bargain (as long as the corrosion can be sorted!)

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
Modular Steel Wheels + Manual Hubs
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Breathers (Diffs, Transfer Box, Gearbox)
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Jimnybits Armour (Diffs, Transfer Box, Fuel Tank, Shock Mounts, Rad Arms)
Front & Rear Recovery Points
Front & Rear Lightbars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2022 08:54 #241204 by louchy

Looks nice and tight. Was it well looked after ?

So it’s 2 lady owners before me, and doesn’t seem to have been used off road…

Service history is pretty non existent apart from the early days, but upon checking the coolant and oil, it is clear that it’s been serviced regularly, oil is fresh with no bits, coolant is actually coolant, and no signs of sludge or rust.

The original battery was on its last legs, so I have replaced with a new Yuasa YBX5057 (thanks to the recommendations on here), and had to fix the heater flap mechanism.

There is also some corrosion under the wheel jack which needs sorting, but was only an advisory on the last MOT, so I am hoping my local wizard can sort it, he will cut it out, replace, weld and seal.

Also 5 new tyres on it, albeit road tyres 

All in all it was a risky buy from
a main dealer PX to clear, but I picked it up for £2,500 so it was a bargain (as long as the corrosion can be sorted!)

Forgot to mention it has 55K miles!!

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
16 Jan 2022 11:42 - 16 Jan 2022 11:43 #241206 by Dirtbird
I think you are on a winner . 50k miles Is nothing on these engines if your doing scheduled services and not driving them badly .
You'll have this 4x4 for a long time if you look after it well ware and enjoy doing the mods and getting into mechanic's.
Keep us posted louche.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2022 11:43 by Dirtbird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: louchy

• Big Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2022 05:23 #241244 by Big Nick
Replied by Big Nick on topic New Here - Just Bought a Jimny!
Looks great! I like the colour - we don't get those in Australia, but I remember seeing a few when I lived in England.

Definitely try and get all terrain tyres. I remember mine being a bit into the slips and slides before I got some. It gives it a lot more traction on road I found, and better control on river crossings and mud.

Great mileage. Lady owners are the best because they don't tend to think they're engineers and put in botchy lifts.

£2500 seems really cheap even with some corrosion?! In Australia gen 3 Jimnys haven't lost much value since new, even old ones. It's crazy at the moment, with the hype around the new one.

More
17 Jan 2022 10:10 #241251 by DrRobin
It sounds like a very fair price and the top side looks really good. There appears to be several places Jimnys rust underneath, the boot floor seems quite common, but new boot floors are readily available and several on here have put a new one in.

I think you will have a lot of fun with your Jimny, especially on the lanes on a weekend.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Jan 2022 21:01 #241536 by louchy
Hi All,

A quick update, my trusted mechanic has had the Jimny on the ramps today and given everything a very thorough looking at.

It appears the car is all good, no severe rot and all mechanically sound! So the process of mods has started!...

First stage (will be completed 2nd week of Feb):

- Full service
- New pads and shoes
- New clutch
- Raptor4x4 steel rims
- BF Goodrich KM3's (215/75/15)
- Snorkel
- Extended breathers for gearbox, diffs & transfer box
- Front & rear recovery points

Next stage (later in Feb):

- 2" suspension lift kit
- Castor correction
- Rear shock reposition brackets
- All sorts of underbody armour
- 42" Light bar

Thanks to all for the ideas and recommendations on here, I am stupidly exited for the journey ahead! I will keep everyone posted with pics during the process...

Cheers,
Chris.

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
27 Jan 2022 22:34 #241537 by Roger Fairclough
Be wary of water crossings. Best to wait until someone else has crossed. This way you can judge the depth. There are a number of points on the Jimny where water could possibly enter and cause problems for you. Keep below 8" until you have developed the skills and know what to protect. Don't be pushed into doing things that could be beyond your existing abilities. The idea is to have fun without gaining to many grey hairs.

Roger

More
28 Jan 2022 09:22 #241542 by louchy

Be wary of water crossings. Best to wait until someone else has crossed. This way you can judge the depth. There are a number of points on the Jimny where water could possibly enter and cause problems for you. Keep below 8" until you have developed the skills and know what to protect. Don't be pushed into doing things that could be beyond your existing abilities. The idea is to have fun without gaining to many grey hairs.

Roger
Thanks for the advice Roger,

I intend to be very careful with my adventures! I will probably have my daughter with me a lot of the time so will be extra careful!

Although very much looking forward to getting to know the Jimmy’s capabilities, I have done a few of the green lanes around here already with HT’s and stock everything else, and I can already tell it’s a very capable machine! I just didn’t want to make any mods until my trusted mechanic had given it a full once over. 

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
28 Jan 2022 13:29 - 28 Jan 2022 13:31 #241545 by DrRobin
Best add some of these to the list, especially for the gate opener/daughter.

Have fun, post pictures.....

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 13:31 by DrRobin.

More
28 Jan 2022 14:19 #241546 by Roger Fairclough
A good idea is to join The Green Lane Association, GLASS for short. They have a map system that allows you to zoom in to the area of your choice to find the LEGAL rights of way.

Roger

More
28 Jan 2022 23:26 #241553 by louchy

Best add some of these to the list, especially for the gate opener/daughter.

Have fun, post pictures.....

Robin
Haha, thanks Robin….

Good idea 

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

More
28 Jan 2022 23:31 #241554 by louchy

A good idea is to join The Green Lane Association, GLASS for short. They have a map system that allows you to zoom in to the area of your choice to find the LEGAL rights of way.

Roger
Thanks again Roger,

I will check out GLASS, sounds like it’s worth a look!

I have also found a local club: www.surrey4x4tours.co.uk

They do some very cool training sessions, and tours of the local green lanes, so as soon as my tyres are on I will be booking on some events with them! 

Tyres and wheels arrived at home today, and will be fitted when my brakes / clutch are upgraded on the 8th of Feb. Too excited!! 

2003 '53 Jimny JLX Mode
2" Suspension Lift
BFG MT's
ARB Delete
Raptor 4x4 Snorkel
Front & Rear Lightbars

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds