BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I'm sure we all know this already but

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2021 09:11 #240230 by Lambert

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2021 10:28 #240235 by Roger Fairclough
What about CB radios?

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Nov 2021 10:35 #240237 by Lambert
Not sure, I think they used to be exempt as they are considered one way communication because they cannot transmit and receive at the same time possibly? Not having one I the car I'm not up to speed.

More
20 Nov 2021 10:43 #240238 by Roger Fairclough
On a personal note, as using one would obviously affect my concentration, Viv would use it on green lane runs.

Roger

More
20 Nov 2021 13:53 #240240 by LM42
CB and amateur radio are exempt

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

More
20 Nov 2021 19:06 #240248 by DrRobin
This new law really only governs mobile phones, but using a CB with a hand held microphone has always been likely to land you in trouble. Basically anything that distracts the driver or impairs the drivers ability to control the vehicle can lead to a prosecution.

For example holding a microphone whilst driving with one hand is already asking for trouble. The only safe way is to get a hands free CB mic.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Nov 2021 19:11 #240249 by Roger Fairclough
Or get the passenger to use it.

Roger

More
20 Nov 2021 21:44 #240253 by Busta
Dashboard mounts are cheap enough these days.

More
21 Nov 2021 01:02 #240256 by Fossie
The genie is out of the bottle...as much as I agree with the law on this ..it's too late , who's going to police it, . The newest cars require the driver to 'interact ' with their 'info screen ' to adjust the temp controls etc is this not the same?

As a dispatch rider the number of cars I pass everyday where the driver is on a FaceTime/ video call ..or has the phone in their line of drive sight as a map or for scrolling their messages ...as for uber drivers with 3 or 4 phones lined up..!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Nov 2021 06:22 #240258 by Lambert
Quite clearly the genie is escaped but as long as you don't actually hold the device in your hands while you operate it then it is no different to skipping a track on a cd player or jumping from one radio station to the next. As for taking video calls, you can always just not answer them and call back when safe to do so, no employer can force you to break the law and family and friends would always prefer you not to put yourself in harms way.

More
22 Nov 2021 16:31 - 22 Nov 2021 16:33 #240291 by yakuza
we allready had this here in Norway for a few years. first not allowed to hold it and now not allowed to use it. but you can answer the phone if you got an handsfree system. actually I am not sure how all this works, I'll just wait until I get a fine I guess.

I think it is still scary to meet a bus or a truck on the very narrow norwegian roads and the driver is not looking at you but the phone. couple of weeks ago a video in the news here of a bus driver watching squid game while driving. It is ok i guess :)
We are coming into the next few weeks of the highest risk of collision due to all the stressed people on the christmas shopping so take care!

anyways the voice control of the later android versions is great. long press the center button and speak. "call wife" "best kebab in Oslo" "navigate home" they all work even with my rural norwegian dialect. :D

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2021 16:33 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds