BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bodywork / Engine / Gearbox / Transfer box change - info needed

More
23 Oct 2021 10:59 #239571 by me101
Hi, Little Jim (2007 VVT) has passed the mot with only minor advisories, so decided to throw a little cash at him in the new year and keep for another 2 - 3 years. I am looking at using T Lofley in Mansfield (unless any other recommendations) to do the bodywork (wanting body off and any rust underneath and on chassis sorting out and properly undersealing). Also, going to have the 1.6 conversion done as the 1.3 is just too under powered on the road. Is 2010 M16a the latest I can use without too much work? And finally, do I keep the original gearbox and electric transfer box, or go for the older manual lever transfer setup? If I go for the older gearbox / transfer box, am I right in thinking these are stronger? Also, would this increase or decrease the gearing? I am running 215/75/15 wheels and not really looking to go any bigger. Cheers.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2021 07:50 #239584 by Busta
If you change just the transfer case you will have 30% lower gearing.if you change just the gearbox you will have 20% higher gearing.

If you change both you will have 10% lower gearing.

If you change both and the diffs you will have the same gearing.

A friend that has fitted a 1.5 and the earlier gearbox and transfer case, and is running on 215s, said it's a bit buzzy at motorway speeds. In fact he picked up a pair of early manual diffs from me the other day to hopefully remedy it.

More
24 Oct 2021 11:40 #239592 by me101
I don't do too much motorway, so should be fine. Do we know if there is any noticeable difference between 1.5 and 1.6?

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds