BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Looking to buy a Jimny

• Connert92
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2021 07:43 #239462 by Connert92
Looking to buy a Jimny was created by Connert92
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a Jimny, probably around 2003-2009 models. 

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for when viewing these to buy? Like common issues with Jimnys of this age?

I imagine rust would be quite a big factor on these, especially if they've been off road.

A lot of them are in the realm of 80k+ miles, how do these engines age?

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Oct 2021 08:26 #239465 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Looking to buy a Jimny
The only major issues with this age range are the corrosion of the body and from 05 to 09 the bearings in the main gearbox. Many examples by now may have had some repair work done but if not expect the gearbox to start at 500 quid minimum and the corrosion is a piece of string job sometimes easier other times not. Have a read through the buying guide in the information section in the top banner.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Connert92

• Connert92
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2021 09:05 #239466 by Connert92
Replied by Connert92 on topic Looking to buy a Jimny
Thanks for the info,

I'll have a read of the buyers guide!

I see you own an auto, would you recommend them over the manuals?

More
17 Oct 2021 10:34 - 17 Oct 2021 10:35 #239468 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Looking to buy a Jimny
Have you driven a Jimny?
If not find both auto and manual offered by traders and take each for a test drive, that will answer your gearbox question.
Truth is for as many that like autos as many like manual. So it's going to need to be something you decide.
They are different, I drove both and knew which I wanted straight away.
Good luck in your search.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 10:35 by Scimike.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2021 11:30 #239470 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Looking to buy a Jimny
Probably some 2010s affected too. Mine was, the bearings were goosed at about 100k.

It was £495 for the recon on the box another 200 labour to fit a clutch and remove and refit the gearbox.

• Connert92
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2021 12:03 #239472 by Connert92
Thanks for your reply,

I have not test driven one yet as no local sellers/garages have one up for sale.

I have driven both manual and automatic cars and own one of each.

I find the manuals better for the fact I feel more connected to the engine that way, and my auto is more of a cruiser car.

I wasn't sure whether Jimny fans swore by manuals or autos though.

I think for my driving style and what i'll use it for a manual will suit me better, but I will definitely try and get a test drive in both gearboxes prior to buying.

More
17 Oct 2021 12:32 #239473 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Looking to buy a Jimny
Ok well worth getting a drive in both then before you purchase.
I found both to be very different in the way the vehicle "feels", and that's what you are going to have to live with if it's your only drive. 
it's possible to list the advantages / disadvantages of each, but they tend to balance out in my humble opinion depending upon the use of the vehicle at the time, so no clear winner.
But don't get too hung up about this, they both make the Jimny move and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Oct 2021 16:47 #239480 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Looking to buy a Jimny
My 4th Jimny that I dailied for nearly 10 years was manual. My current one is automatic. I will not be having another manual. I find it too frenzied and requiring more driver involvement to keep making progress. The automatic is better for my off road work on the farm and is noticeably easier to maintain momentum in on a back road. Also the automatic isn't included in the bearing failure issue, that's just the manual.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Connert92
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2021 17:13 #239481 by Connert92
Thanks for the info Lambert!

I will be bearing that in mind when I purchase one of these little cars.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds