BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fitting Radius Mount Guards

More
10 Oct 2021 07:34 #239265 by tomlil01
Hi, all,

I'm trying to fit the jimnybits radius arm mount guards, and just had a question. Do I need to jack up the car by the chassis and diff to remove the radius arm bolts in order to fit the guards. 

I've seen some instructions on here which don't mention jacking up the car, but not sure whether they're assuming the car is jacked up as a starting point or whether it is not necessary?

ThanksLee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2021 08:04 - 10 Oct 2021 08:06 #239266 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Fitting Radius Mount Guards
It's good practice to tighten suspension bushes with the vehicle in its normal operating position, that's level with all four wheels on the ground.
So with this in mind it's possible to fit the guards with the vehicle not lifted at all, it also keeps the suspension parts in line. If you jack the vehicle and remove the bolts things may spring apart and be difficult to realign.
I appreciate it's better access if lifted, but I would only do this to slacken the bolts as they are tight, fitting the guards with it lowered.
If you must jack the vehicle do as you said, support the vehicle on the chassis and the diff also, this so you can lift it back into place if it moves.

Sure their are other ways to do this, but I like to avoid working under a lifted vehicle if I can.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 10 Oct 2021 08:06 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
10 Oct 2021 08:17 #239267 by tomlil01
Thanks, Scimike.

So, if I remove the main bolt on the radius arms without jacking up the car, I assume the radius arm will drop out, but this won't cause anything else to move? I can just put it back in place when the guard it mounted?

Lee

More
10 Oct 2021 08:37 #239269 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Fitting Radius Mount Guards
With the wheels on the ground and all chocked to prevent vehicle movement it's unlikely the arm will move at all when you remove the bolt (it did not for me). Do them one at a time and chock all wheels.
But it's possible it may move slightly, but not drop as such. Just keep yourself out of harm's way, just in case!
If it does move a jack / ratchet strap can be used to move it back into place to help refit the bolt.

Hopefully your won't move and it's an easy fit.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Oct 2021 08:38 - 10 Oct 2021 08:43 #239270 by LesNewell
They normally take a bit of pulling to get them out so they should stay in place if you just need to take the bolt out and replace it.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2021 08:43 by LesNewell.

More
10 Oct 2021 09:38 #239273 by tomlil01
Thanks, Scimike. Not knowing anything about cars, I had visions of the car falling apart like a clowns car when I took the bolt out! Sounds like it should be simple enough!

More
10 Oct 2021 12:08 #239275 by lightning
lt might do if you take all four bolts out at the same time!

More
10 Oct 2021 12:27 - 10 Oct 2021 12:28 #239276 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Fitting Radius Mount Guards
When I fitted mine I used a trolley jack to support the radius arm so that it wouldn't move while the bolt was out, worked a treat. Didn't put any pressure on the arm, just had it sat touching the jack.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2021 12:28 by Gadget.

More
10 Oct 2021 13:31 #239278 by tomlil01
Thanks, Gadget. Seems a good idea! I'll do the same when I do mine

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds