BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

No drive to the nearside rear?

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2021 15:58 #239134 by Sean65
No drive to the nearside rear? was created by Sean65
Hello again. Those of you who have read any of my other threads will by now have realised I have bought a real crock! Anyway, having not played with my 02 Jimny for a couple of weeks after fitting proper rear 2" lift springs, I went for a drive, got about 20 metres before turning around due to a really odd noise from the rear. I jacked up the rear and didn't really seem to be able to replicate the noise, but eventually took both wheels off and then whilst on axle stands, got my wife to sit in and go through the gears. No obvious noise, but now I could see the rear properly, I noticed the rear offside was not rotating at all. Unlike the offside which was turning as expected. Am I missing something in how these diffs work, or does it point towards yet something else I need to address in terms of the half shaft or diff itself. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2021 16:36 #239136 by mlines
That sounds fairly normal for a diff with wheels that are ogf the ground. One wheel might not move or rotate backwards.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2021 16:39 #239137 by Lambert
Assuming the diff is factory and therefore open then it's entirely possible for one side to spin all it need be is one of the brakes just binding on a little and that's enough to spin the opposite side. The test is to put it in gear but with the engine off so that the propshaft can't rotate then turn one wheel by hand, the opposite side should spin but in the other direction.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2021 17:21 #239141 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic No drive to the nearside rear?
Brakes are fine as I suspected them first so took the drums off. I will investigate further with the light tomorrow and report back. Thanks. There are no obvious clunks or bangs, so maybe all is well. 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2021 17:55 #239143 by Lambert
They are usually a fairly robust unit being a 4 pin not like a land rover.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2021 18:43 #239146 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic No drive to the nearside rear?
Fingers crossed then!

More
04 Oct 2021 21:12 #239150 by Roger Fairclough
The drag could be caused by a wheel bearing that is breaking up. The half shafts should rotate smoothly and quietly with no up or down movement but with a modicum of in and out.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds