BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Consuming fuel.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Sep 2021 20:24 #238945 by Lambert
Consuming fuel. was created by Lambert
Have had to endure some motorway work today running around a few errands. Temeraire has been perfect and has recorded a world record i suspect of just under 46 mpg over 220 miles of mostly motorway but also through the centre of Leeds which was nice. Very impressed especially with the reports that the new e10 has a negative impact on mpg. I think that most of the benefits are a result of the very much lower engine speed afforded by the monstrous over drive in the automatic, 70 indicated (65gps) running about 3200 as opposed to 3800 in the manual.  All told I'm happy with 46 from a 1.3 automatic brick.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
25 Sep 2021 20:36 #238946 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Consuming fuel.
It also lays my concern about how much fuel I use on a more regular basis to rest,as I'm prepared to accept that relatively slow short runs and off road work are genuinely causing the issues and it's not the car that is being unduly hungry. She is capable of sipping the juice when the conditions are reasonable.

More
25 Sep 2021 20:48 #238947 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Consuming fuel.
Although it might be contrary to what the motoring journalists reported, I think I might have had a slight increase in E10.

I went from 42mpg to 38mpg when I changed to AT tyres, but my trip computer now believes I'm getting 40mpg.

I'm not entirely sure I believe it.

More
25 Sep 2021 21:43 #238949 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Consuming fuel.
I have keep a log of the miles every tank gives and have done since the first day of ownership. The MPG obviously varies with use, lowest I have seen is 28mpg, highest is 46 mpg, but you can't tell on just one tank.  ( M13A MT).
Even what you consider to be the same use will give different results, many factors come into play. So far I have seen little evidence that super expensive or cheap supermarket petrol has had any impact. I don't expect to see any difference on E10, but I need to put a lot more tanks through before I get any results.
I don't do it as I am concerned of the actual MPG, it's a means to spot any running issues early, but as it's a Suzuki it's been reliable since day one. I have averaged about 36mpg over the years, which is about the reported expected MPG given on the web.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
26 Sep 2021 04:52 #238950 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Consuming fuel.
As I have said before I am not to concerned about the actual figure this is more a relief/confidence that my regular pilgrimage to the North of Scotland isn't going to see me hemorrhage money uncontrollably.

On a related note I noticed that one of my local esso garages has decided to take the unfortunate step of increasing their prices as a result of the current panic buying, virtually overnight it went from 139.9 to 142.9 which I suggest is gross profiteering. It also has the added benefit of making me unlikely to use them again.

More
26 Sep 2021 09:06 #238954 by Dan
I learned recently by doing research on finding E5 for my motorbike that tesco have a price differential on super plus unleaded.

On my local forecourt standard E10 is 133.9 whereas they sell momentum for 140.9, I believe the 7p difference is their standard.

I shopped around one day and found that Shell and a tesco express Esso were considerably more expensive, given that these companies buy in very similar product from refineries, I'm not certain for my needs, buying branded fuel will make a worthwhile difference.

More
27 Sep 2021 12:26 #238977 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Consuming fuel.

I shopped around one day and found that Shell and a tesco express Esso were considerably more expensive, given that these companies buy in very similar product from refineries, I'm not certain for my needs, buying branded fuel will make a worthwhile difference.

It is of course, your choice as to where you buy your fuel, but I'd like to suggest your "shopping around" includes a review (as far as you are able) of which resellers are using a detergent additive package - in the long run, it makes a difference.

More
27 Sep 2021 12:58 #238979 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Consuming fuel.
I have owned my Gen 3 for 2 years now and average 34mpg. I think it would do a bit more if I didn't go over 50mph, but a lot of my daily driving is on fast A roads. I just put ordinary unleaded in.

I recently read a review of super unleaded vs standard, okay it was tested in a performance car, they looked at performance and mpg, different tests and found that supermarket standard fuel was not far behind Shell V Power which was the best apparently.

The extra MPG wasn't worth the extra money, but V Power does include additives which would be a bonus.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Sep 2021 16:36 #238985 by Dan

It is of course, your choice as to where you buy your fuel, but I'd like to suggest your "shopping around" includes a review (as far as you are able) of which resellers are using a detergent additive package - in the long run, it makes a difference.

I was being a bit vague, my current thinking is to continue using E5 in my motorbike by switching to super plus unleaded, it doesn't do many miles and I understand the ethanol doesn't keep well when left in the tank for extended periods. The 7p a litre difference for momentum was worth it I felt.

I'm not really fussed about the jimny, my local independent garage only has standard unleaded and that's what will be going in the jimny from now on.

Just out of interest has anyone been dyno testing E10?! Are we losing power?!

I really need to do a brim to brim mileage calculation on mpg to see if the numbers on the trip computer are accurate.

More
21 Feb 2022 21:48 #241961 by Stainless
Replied by Stainless on topic Consuming fuel.
34 mpg, I am really jealous. Our 2006 Jimny Auto does 25 mpg no matter how or where we drive. Around town in traffic, 25 mpg. On a run with a light foot, 25 mpg. When we bought the car new in 2006, we returned it to a main dealer, who loaned us a car for a week, a Swift, what a lovely car. Anyway after a week of them driving it and testing it, they said 25 mpg was correct.

More
22 Feb 2022 09:09 #241970 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Consuming fuel.
My 05 auto does about 25 on a run. In back roads and green laning I'm down to 20. I have an OBD app that shows instantaneous fuel consumption and even on a flat road at a steady 55mph it is under 30, which seems crazy for such a small engine. Around 45 on a run sounds much more like what a small car like this should do.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds