BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bolt on turbo

More
23 Sep 2021 15:22 #238901 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Bolt on turbo

The "map" or tune.... will be laid with drivability being the the focus, not ultimate power....

Guess this would depend on the map, some will be for ultimate power. It would depend on a lot of things.

Gains are also dependant on the exact car and tune being applied. As a rule most n/a cars do not offer much with a tune. Especially if you are sticking with 95RON and have no mods. The only times this isn't true, is if the base tune is lacking for various reasons. Either with a very safe A/F ratio.

Or like the GT86 where it as a programmed 'hole' in the torque curve. Likely to be done for emissions reasons.

Modded engines and tunes are obviously a different kettle of fish all together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2021 15:30 #238902 by 300bhpton

8k could see a fully built N/A engine fitted with more power and no reliability issues...

sniper
£8k for a built n.a engine sounds a lot IMO for a Jimny at least. At the end of the day, there really is no replacement for displacement. Meaning low end grunt and torque figures are going to be hard to radically alter from stock. Increase in power and moving the power curve up the rev range is what the majority of na mods will be doing.

If you want more grunt from the same displacement, then forced induction is the way to go. Although I think I'd personally prefer a supercharger to a turbo for off road work.

More
23 Sep 2021 15:43 - 23 Sep 2021 16:00 #238903 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Bolt on turbo

8k could see a fully built N/A engine fitted with more power and no reliability issues...

sniper
£8k for a built n.a engine sounds a lot IMO for a Jimny at least. At the end of the day, there really is no replacement for displacement. Meaning low end grunt and torque figures are going to be hard to radically alter from stock. Increase in power and moving the power curve up the rev range is what the majority of na mods will be doing.

If you want more grunt from the same displacement, then forced induction is the way to go. Although I think I'd personally prefer a supercharger to a turbo for off road work.
If you read the post, the 8k was the estimated cost of the Greddy kit fitted and tuned.....  

8K spent on an n/a set up would put you around 150bhp with no lag or low rpm issues....  It would differ greatly from a standard engine...  and be a more reliable option than boosting an engine that wasn't designed for it.... Forced induction is not always the way to go.

sniper
(note:- I think the point is lost, 8k Greddy kit fitted... I suggested that a "built" engine could be had for that money... Lightened, balanced, ported,   flowed, custom induction, mappable ecu..... definitely not a standard engine)

Last edit: 23 Sep 2021 16:00 by sniper.

More
23 Sep 2021 16:29 #238905 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Bolt on turbo
If I was buying a bolt-on kit, I would expect it to contain everything you need to to the job properly,  just extra for a rolling road session to set it all up.

It's a lot of money for an extra 30hp!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
23 Sep 2021 22:23 #238918 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Bolt on turbo
Anyone seen a K15 rod yet?
No mention of regapping the rings.....it can't be running much boost to only get 30hp.....for the price I'm thinking I'd need 300hp.

M13 has the skinniest ever....M15 aftermarket look "capable"  M15 head bolts stretch once it gets past 35 psi

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
24 Sep 2021 09:22 #238925 by 300bhpton

It's a lot of money for an extra 30hp!
Is that not 130hp at the wheels? If so, that is a lot more than 30hp gain.

More
24 Sep 2021 09:33 #238927 by 300bhpton

8K spent on an n/a set up would put you around 150bhp with no lag or low rpm issues....  
An n/a engined tuned to 100bhp/litre sounds great for a sports car. But I'd need a lot of convincing that it would be sensible in off roader such as the Jimny.

It would differ greatly from a standard engine...  and be a more reliable option than boosting an engine that wasn't designed for it.... Forced induction is not always the way to go.
Reliability is not really measurable here, unless you know there is a specific weakness for forced induction. But there are loads of people running turbos and superchargers on what are stock na engines. It is hugely popular in the USA with many companies selling nothing other than kits for doing this.

More
24 Sep 2021 11:53 #238929 by Coco BT
Replied by Coco BT on topic Bolt on turbo
seriously can't see the point. 
probably targeted for people with expensive useless roof racks

More
24 Sep 2021 15:17 #238931 by Keithy

seriously can't see the point. 
probably targeted for people with expensive useless roof racks

Probably targeting people who are unwilling to put up with the performance of the standard car..... I can sell you a roofrack.....if you've been saving up. lol 
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2021 14:04 #238957 by Motleycrew
Replied by Motleycrew on topic Bolt on turbo
I have made my own kit
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2021 22:58 #238967 by Keithy

I have made my own kit

Cool......how does the inlet get past the PS pump?

More
27 Sep 2021 11:33 #238975 by Motleycrew
Replied by Motleycrew on topic Bolt on turbo
The intercooler piping will go around the side of the radiator bracket and the Intercooler will be at the front. The PS pump should not be a issue

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds