BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bolt on turbo

More
21 Sep 2021 17:16 - 21 Sep 2021 17:21 #238860 by lookonimages
Bolt on turbo was created by lookonimages
As the original discussion was locked.
See jimnystyle now have turbo bolt on kit in stock
jimnystyle.com/collections/engine/produc...riant=40812016107685

Love the small print on whats included excluded.

I for one not interested in this, but know there are that have raised the question before.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2021 17:21 by lookonimages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2021 20:58 #238868 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Bolt on turbo
I wonder what the total bill would be for fitting and mapping. WAY TOO much probably, but no doubt they will sell a few.

More
22 Sep 2021 17:23 #238875 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Bolt on turbo
Turbocharging an engine that was never designed to have a turbo is never going to be cheap.

More
22 Sep 2021 19:31 #238877 by DJ20
Replied by DJ20 on topic Bolt on turbo
What are the BHP and torque figures?

More
22 Sep 2021 21:19 #238879 by lightning
lt doesn't say.

But l would guess around 30% more bhp and a similar increase in low rpm torque.

Let's hope that the traction control can contain the wheel spin and under steer.

More
22 Sep 2021 21:45 #238880 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Bolt on turbo
I can see figures at the bottom of the advert above the video of a chap driving a Jimny.
As they don't supply ECU, mapping, rolling road tune or any other changes they have not mentioned (exhaust and injector size?), your experience may differ after you have bolted it on 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 Sep 2021 07:27 #238888 by lightning
Seems a well designed and well made kit.
Large claimed increase in torque, and at lower rpm.

But there's no ECU supplied, that's not going to be a five minute job, to program an aftermarket ECU.

As the kit is specifically for one engine type, l would think it should include an ECU with the necessary software.

More
23 Sep 2021 11:47 #238893 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Bolt on turbo
I'm not going to turbo my car but it is getting a standalone ecu along with a full day and two mornings on the rollers....

£3200.00 + VAT

So around 7-8k to fit the Greddy kit with an ecu and set it up.....  131bhp doesn't seem like a lot of bang for your bucks.....

8k could see a fully built N/A engine fitted with more power and no reliability issues...

sniper

More
23 Sep 2021 12:16 - 23 Sep 2021 12:18 #238894 by lightning
What improvements do you expect to obtain from the rolling road tune? My N/A Elise was rolling road tuned and while there was an improvement, it was only around 10%.

l would think the best improvement on a Jimny would be better low down torque. Not that it's bad as standard, but it's no sports car and l'm not sure an extra 20bhp at 6,000rpm would be all that beneficial.

More low down torque would be better, although being a 16v it's always going to perform better at higher RPM

Last edit: 23 Sep 2021 12:18 by lightning.

More
23 Sep 2021 13:11 #238896 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Bolt on turbo

I'm not going to turbo my car but it is getting a standalone ecu along with a full day and two mornings on the rollers....

£3200.00 + VAT

So around 7-8k to fit the Greddy kit with an ecu and set it up.....  131bhp doesn't seem like a lot of bang for your bucks.....

8k could see a fully built N/A engine fitted with more power and no reliability issues...

sniper

131bhp, In the words of Scotty (Star Trek) 'Captain, She can't take anymore!'  True for Dilithium Crystals and M13 Engines.

The only warp factor you will see in a Jimny is the cylinder head.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Sep 2021 14:50 #238898 by sniper

What improvements do you expect to obtain from the rolling road tune? My N/A Elise was rolling road tuned and while there was an improvement, it was only around 10%.

l would think the best improvement on a Jimny would be better low down torque. Not that it's bad as standard, but it's no sports car and l'm not sure an extra 20bhp at 6,000rpm would be all that beneficial.

More low down torque would be better, although being a 16v it's always going to perform better at higher RPM

Well..... I am expecting that they will fit my imported custom injection system, DTA S80 ecu and set it all up so that it runs nicely on my 1600VVT.... The engine is expected to give good power from around 1700rpm.... and somewhere near 140bhp...... with an early, flat torque curve....

The "map" or tune.... will be laid with drivability being the the focus, not ultimate power....

I have had a number of my cars tuned on the rollers and always found benefit, not always much more power on the lightly modded cars but always a better drive, power & torque where I want it.....

If you were to fit a free flowing manifold and exhaust, an upgraded fuelling system and a fully mappable ecu to your Elise and then get it mapped, you may have had different results.....

sniper

More
23 Sep 2021 15:12 #238900 by sniper

£3200.00 + VAT

sniper

131bhp, In the words of Scotty (Star Trek) 'Captain, She can't take anymore!'  True for Dilithium Crystals and M13 Engines.

The only warp factor you will see in a Jimny is the cylinder head.
The heads are fine, it's usually the rods that fail.. on the M13A....

BUT 

I thought the post was about the turbo kit on a gen4 which is a different engine altogether....

sniper

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds