BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towing a caravan

More
08 Sep 2021 10:45 #238341 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Towing a caravan

I tow a lot with my gen3 and as long as you accept it can be quite slow progress up big hills then you will be fine. The caveat there is that the windage on a caravan is going to be quite noticeable compared with a livestock trailer but equally you won't have any issues with your load moving about as you drive. The additional power of the 1.5 will also help.
Lambert are you using your Jimny farming?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Sep 2021 11:08 #238344 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towing a caravan
Yes I am. Its brilliant! It's like a quad bike and a defender 90 had a baby. I couldn't cope without it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Sep 2021 11:32 #238345 by Dirtbird
That great to hear, it's the main reason I'm putting so much time and effort into my rebuild . Hope to use it to lick rushes and other farm-related chores, cutting timber, etc. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2021 11:49 #238346 by Lambert
I'm finding that the automatic gearbox is such a superior drive train to the previous manual especially with the load on the back of a trailer, if the terrain dictates you can lock out the higher speed as you need or if it's easy going you are always in the right gear in traffic and such. It allows you to pay more attention to your surroundings than having to think about which gear you need. It's also way better for shunting as there's no clutch to burn.

More
08 Sep 2021 15:01 #238350 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towing a caravan
Don't feel there is any real contradiction, it clearly states 1300kg braked and 350kg unbaked on the official V5 form. I assume this will be the go to place for any "hello, what's all this then" police officer. I always believed the 50% unbraked / 80% braked is a rule of thumb, something used when the loading is not stated by the manufacturer or on the V5 - ie older vehicles etc. 
Rant away if I am wrong,  
The chassis plated total train weight less the maximum vehicle weight leaves 1300kg for trailer load, and I guess that's where the V5 figure is from.
What is up for debate is why Suzuki recomended 350/450kg for towing loads and is the 1300kg allowed actually a good idea on the back of a Jimny

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
08 Sep 2021 15:40 #238352 by Dirtbird

Don't feel there is any real contradiction, it clearly states 1300kg braked and 350kg unbaked on the official V5 form. I assume this will be the go to place for any "hello, what's all this then" police officer. I always believed the 50% unbraked / 80% braked is a rule of thumb, something used when the loading is not stated by the manufacturer or on the V5 - ie older vehicles etc. 
Rant away if I am wrong,  
The chassis plated total train weight less the maximum vehicle weight leaves 1300kg for trailer load, and I guess that's where the V5 figure is from.
What is up for debate is why Suzuki recomended 350/450kg for towing loads and is the 1300kg allowed actually a good idea on the back of a Jimny

Scimike if i go and make a camper/trailer from my spare Jimny body and chassis if i keep the construction below 350 kg does that mean I will not need to have brakes on it. 

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2021 15:47 #238353 by Lambert
Well the Jimny is much more stable at full load than ever my old Cherokee sport was at its full load. That old bus was very wobbly. Like I said earlier I have been towing for like 40 years now so I have a reasonable expectation of whatisto beexpected. The other thing I like about the Jimny is because of the lack of power it demands that you as a driver are actively involved with what you are doing. With leviathan it's only once the big Big trailer is actually loaded that you start to realise there's something on the back. That in a way I find slightly disconcerting as it's easy to forget and get into trouble.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2021 16:18 #238355 by Lambert

Rant away if I am wrong,  

Scimike if i go and make a camper/trailer from my spare Jimny body and chassis if i keep the construction below 350 kg does that mean I will not need to have brakes on it. 

That's correct however there are certain complications in home building trailers, they are supposed to be iva tested and have individual chassis number etc. It's a bit of a nightmare doing it properly. However if you have an existing trailers it's a bit of a grey area where new build starts and refurbishment ends. There is quite a lot of reading on this in the Internet.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
08 Sep 2021 16:29 - 08 Sep 2021 16:30 #238356 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towing a caravan
What Lambert said +1.
The laws tighten up on home built trailers, so much so when I looked into this for a small teardrop caravan I wanted to make, I considered purchasing a professionally made frame with certification as a base. Exactly how they prove when / who made it is the great u known, its all age related, but I personally did not want to take a chance. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 08 Sep 2021 16:30 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Dirtbird

More
08 Sep 2021 22:52 #238372 by Dirtbird
Had a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.4 Diesel. Gave me a lot of trouble, ended up with a bad diesel knock and got rid of, traded it in for a Hilux single cab, and never looked back. 

More
08 Sep 2021 22:54 #238373 by Dirtbird
A mechanic told me once you could tow a trailer with a Micra provided you wet slow enough. Basically know the limits and stay within them. 

More
09 Sep 2021 11:27 #238386 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Towing a caravan
If a mechanic said it it must be true! 

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds