BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fuel consumption?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Aug 2021 03:06 #237850 by Lambert
Fuel consumption? was created by Lambert
Ok so I am a few months into ownership of my automatic and I have noticed that the fuel consumption is quite exceptional when using 4x4 low. The consumption in 4x2 is very similar to what I expected from my last one but the difference between the two in low really is drastic. Don't worry I still stare into the distance when I'm filling up it's not a problem, I'm just wondering if Suzuki altered the fuel map in these later ones to improve torque or something?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2021 07:00 #237852 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Fuel consumption?
Are you saying that the new one is more, or less economical in low range?

More
25 Aug 2021 08:53 #237854 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Fuel consumption?
My Gen 4 Auto uses around 20l/100km (12mpg) in low range
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2021 09:31 #237856 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Fuel consumption?
I'm saying that Temeraire, my 18 plate uses more fuel than Dreadnaught my 11 plate even though the only difference between the engines is euro 6 vs euro 5.

12 to 15 mpg sounds plausible in low range especially being the automatic. Don't get me wrong I don't mind especially as it just seems to be unstoppable and very strong in low range, I was just curious if it were entirely a function of the automatic gearbox being less economical or whether the ecu is reprogrammed to deliver more fuel in low range?

More
25 Aug 2021 12:58 #237860 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Fuel consumption?
I'd have thought the autobox would play a fairly big part of it. I'm guessing it doesn't lock the torque converter up, so you will essentially be using more revs and throttle than you would otherwise with a manual gearbox.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2021 16:50 #237864 by Lambert
Not noticeably using more revs than the manual it's still changing gear and keeping the revs down like it does round town it's just at a lower forward speed which is what I want for herding the sheep. I'm sure it will normalise me in a few more months. Of course the other issue could also be because of the time of year Temeraire has come into service, we have been busy as it's been the leader to sales season which means long days herding and towing unlike autumn and winter when things are calmer. Curiosity killed the cat after all!

More
25 Aug 2021 17:07 #237865 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Fuel consumption?
Fuel consumption is based on numerous functions but the only variable here is gear ratio. The Gen.4 has two ratios in the T-box, high @ 1.320 and low @ 2.644. In other words a variation of 2:1 so for every mile per hour you do in high range you are doing twice the engine speed in low range. Now it's not as easy as saying that's twice the fuel consumption per se but you wont be that far off.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Aug 2021 03:02 #237875 by Lambert
I think we are all at cross purposes here. I use my Jimny like it's a piece of industrial equipment by that I mean the amount of fuel used is best expressed as a volume over time rather than a volume over distance. So mpg is not actually as important as gallon per hour, and it's this that I am sensing a discrepancy in between the two vehicles. In the 2011 half an hours drive would use about the same amount of fuel round town in 4x2 as it would in 4x4l in a field of sheep. With the 2018 that same half hour in town equates to about 20 minutes in a field if not a little less. Hence I am wondering if on this last version of the M13A engine they altered the fuel mapping to improve low range driveability or something?

More
26 Aug 2021 06:53 #237878 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Fuel consumption?
I could think of the following reasons:
- remapping for better emissions
- (much) lower efficiency due to the hydrodynamic torque converter of the automatic
- and usually driving habits change a little bit between manual and automatic

Rainer

More
26 Aug 2021 08:37 #237879 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Fuel consumption?

I think we are all at cross purposes here. I use my Jimny like it's a piece of industrial equipment by that I mean the amount of fuel used is best expressed as a volume over time rather than a volume over distance. So mpg is not actually as important as gallon per hour, and it's this that I am sensing a discrepancy in between the two vehicles. In the 2011 half an hours drive would use about the same amount of fuel round town in 4x2 as it would in 4x4l in a field of sheep. With the 2018 that same half hour in town equates to about 20 minutes in a field if not a little less. Hence I am wondering if on this last version of the M13A engine they altered the fuel mapping to improve low range driveability or something?

Maybe, but I still suspect the autobox is playing a big part. It isn't a direct drive like a manual, the torque convertor induces 'slip', so you need wider throttle openings to move the vehicle and are likely to spinning higher rpms at times. Esp on hills or when overcoming obstacles.

Emissions mapping may play a part too. But I'd have guessed a more minor one.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds