BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

A/T tyres for Gen4

More
22 Aug 2021 20:10 #237795 by TFL
A/T tyres for Gen4 was created by TFL
I have just purchased a 2019 Gen4 Jimny, 9000 miles, never been off-road, unmodified with standard original alloy wheels and 195 x 80 x R15 Dueller tyres which need replacing with good A/T tyres for off-roading during the coming winter. I have been off-roading in mid Wales where I live for many years in Polaris ATV, Defender and an older Jimny fitted with Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15.
Although the Geolanders were a good compromise I now want something more agresisive subject to not being too noisy/vibration at 65mph on the road. The main off-road hazard will be mud and ruts and I am considering the following and would be pleased to have any views.
Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E 215 x 80 x R15 ;  Goodrich T/A K02 215 x 75 x R15 ;  Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA+ 215 x 80 x R15.
Maxxis would be my first choice from what I can learn online subject to adequate clearance. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TFL (UK)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2021 20:50 #237797 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic A/T tyres for Gen4
TFL 
I've been looking through my desktop for a pdf I used to have but cannot find it. Basically, you cannot have it all. If your 50/50 usage is off-road and on your going to have to accept 50/50 performance. I've been in and out of 4x4 for the last 30 years and have yet to find a one-fit does it all.
Have a read of this. www.spannerrash.com/best-mud-tyres/ I'm at the stage where I have winter tyres for heavy road ice, standard road tyres and some insa turbo desert track for off-roading . Not saying my route is the correct one just what ive fallen into . 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TFL

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Aug 2021 03:25 #237802 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic A/T tyres for Gen4
I think user 300bhpton has or had the worm drive and rated them very highly. If they were available in standard gen3 size I would be looking very hard at them.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Aug 2021 07:07 #237803 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic A/T tyres for Gen4
I've used KM2s for years and more recently KO2s. Both have been fine on a daily driver with acceptable road manners, decent fuel economy and fantastic wear rates. The muds (KM2) suffer a bit with grip on wet roads where the All Terrains (KO2) grip as well on wet and cold tarmac as any road tyre. On the other hand the muds are exceptional in mud, where as the all terrain tread clogs up a lot more easily. I haven't tried the other brands so can't compare.

More
23 Aug 2021 07:30 #237804 by TFL
Replied by TFL on topic A/T tyres for Gen4
Thanks for responses. Anyone have experience of the Maxxis Wormdrive? The tread looks good if they are not too noisy on the road at speed. TFL

More
23 Aug 2021 21:31 #237826 by Dirtbird
The one saving grace of the Jimny is that they are light and can ride on the surface of the Mud so you don't have to get into narrow v wide . This summer i went on to a bit of land in the doner Jimny on road tyres and dropped the pressure down to 15psi and was able to go every where. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
24 Aug 2021 09:48 #237835 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic A/T tyres for Gen4

Thanks for responses. Anyone have experience of the Maxxis Wormdrive? The tread looks good if they are not too noisy on the road at speed. TFL

I have them in 215/75R15. Have been really impressed with them, both on and off road. Can't say I've noticed any real difference on road in terms of ride or noise. Or even grip, the vehicle moves about on the lugs a bit more, but grip is good. Wet or dry. Off road they have exceeded expectations (I normally run mud terrains). Only negative is the knock in mpg and slightly blunted acceleration. But I'm sure these would be true of any larger AT/MT tyre.

More
24 Aug 2021 09:49 #237836 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic A/T tyres for Gen4

The one saving grace of the Jimny is that they are light and can ride on the surface of the Mud so you don't have to get into narrow v wide .
Not sure I agree with this if I'm honest.

More
25 Aug 2021 21:22 #237868 by Dirtbird

The one saving grace of the Jimny is that they are light and can ride on the surface of the Mud so you don't have to get into narrow v wide .
Not sure I agree with this if I'm honest.

300bhpton something along the lines of www.trailbuiltoffroad.com/blogs/875/narr...ires-which-is-better.

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2021 12:50 #237925 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic A/T tyres for Gen4
I've had the Goodyear Wranglers on my Gen 4 for around 5000kms now and I am very happy. 
They're a touch wider and I feel they're a little more sluggish in deep / soft beach sand but otherwise feel good both on and off road. 

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds