BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Vac hubs question

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
16 Jul 2021 09:23 #236726 by DrRobin
Vac hubs question was created by DrRobin
At the meet up and in four wheel drive, I noticed that my back wheels tended to loose grip, but not sure that the front wheels did and since I had new A/T tyres on the rear and part worn A/Ts on the front, it's got me thinking, were the front wheels been driven?

My Gen 3 went in to 4 WD and low range okay, there was a clunk and the lights on the dash all looked okay, so the transfer box and vacuum must be working, but is it possible that the free wheeling hubs were not engaging?  Is this common, everything looks okay, but the hubs don't engage?

I did both Kingpin bearings a few months ago, the hubs looked okay, but I didn't check that the splined collar moved, perhaps they are stuck?  I am certain I put the vac hoses on the right way, I even marked one of them before taking it off.

I am thinking the way to check it is jack up the front end, with the car in gear and 2 WD selected, the front wheels will just rotate, put it in 4 WD and they won't?  Or I could put the car on four axle stands and see what happens in 2 or 4 WD.

I would appreciate your advice?

Ta

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2021 10:05 #236727 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Vac hubs question
To test: put in 4wd (engine running) and jack up one front wheel. If you can rotate it by hand, there is something wrong with the 4wd system. If it will only rock back and forwards a little, 4wd is working.

The light stays green if the vacuum lines are not leaking, it can't tell if there is a blocked pipe, or if the pipes are swapped over.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
16 Jul 2021 10:14 #236728 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Vac hubs question

To test: put in 4wd (engine running) and jack up one front wheel. If you can rotate it by hand, there is something wrong with the 4wd system. If it will only rock back and forwards a little, 4wd is working.

The light stays green if the vacuum lines are not leaking, it can't tell if there is a blocked pipe, or if the pipes are swapped over.

That's great, thanks for the help.  I know the 4WD was working last winter, so unless something went wrong when I did the Kingpin bearings it is probably okay, but I will get the jack out tomorrow morning and check the operation of the hubs as you have suggested.

I hadn't thought about a blocked pipe, but that makes sense.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
16 Jul 2021 11:37 #236732 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Vac hubs question
If you open the door and listen, the hubs go "clickclick" one way, and "clackclack" the other. A single sound means one isn't moving.

If the hubs are locking but the wheel turns by hand in 4wd, most likely a CV joint broken (usually causes notchy or restricted steering in 2wd as well), or could be the diff.

I think there is a "How to" on the 4wd system on here.

The green light comes on steady if there is a vacuum in the "lock the hubs" line when the controller sets them into lock mode- (flashing means a leak) Being Japanese, if there is a vacuum then there is virtual certainty that the hubs moved :) )

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Jul 2021 12:29 #236755 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Vac hubs question
Hubs tested and both working correctly, as is the front diff.

I guess the front wheels were slipping as well, but been part worn I didn’t notice when they let go or bit as much as the back.

It was when I was going up hill, so probably more load on the rear as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds