BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Supercharger for Gen 4's

More
06 Jul 2021 15:28 - 06 Jul 2021 15:29 #236455 by 300bhpton
Got emailed this today (pdf attached). Company is in Oz, but hopefully something will be available here in the UK at some point. If I'm converting Aus $ to Sterling correctly, it works out at about £5k, which is comparable to supercharger kits for other marques.

Not saying the Jimny is slow, but a bit more grunt would be nice. I plan to keep my SZ5 long term, so once out of warranty I'd maybe consider something like this. Hopefully by then they will be available with a few people having run them successfully.

www.rotrex.com
www.bulletcars.com
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2021 15:29 by 300bhpton.
The topic has been locked.
More
06 Jul 2021 15:32 #236457 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
A supercharged Jimny sounds fun, although l have a feeling it would make the handling a bit scary on a wet road.
More
06 Jul 2021 15:41 #236459 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's

A supercharged Jimny sounds fun, although l have a feeling it would make the handling a bit scary on a wet road.
Maybe.

Although quite a few V8 powered Series Land Rover's about. Which weigh very similar to the Jimny. I had a Series 3 with a Tdi in, probably made more low end torque than the supercharged Jimny would.

Also got a 3.9 V8 powered TR7 which probably weighs less than a Jimny. With the traction and stability control on the 4th Gen Jimny, I can't see it really being an issue.
More
06 Jul 2021 18:52 - 06 Jul 2021 18:53 #236462 by lightning
ls the Land Rover Series 3 full time 4wd? The Jimny is only 2wd on road.
With full time 4wd you can put a lot more power down safely.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2021 18:53 by lightning.
More
06 Jul 2021 19:09 #236463 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's

ls the Land Rover Series 3 full time 4wd? The Jimny is only 2wd on road.
With full time 4wd you can put a lot more power down safely.
Series Land Rovers are much like the Jimny and rwd only on the road.
More
07 Jul 2021 07:10 #236470 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
For that price I'd be looking at an engine swaps. Lots of good 2.0 engines that could go in.
Unless they are replacing the throttle pedal with an on-off switch I can't see handling being a big problem.
More
07 Jul 2021 07:44 #236472 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
Looks like a lot of fun 300! I think most jimny owners secretly would appreciate a little bit more low down grunt. I'll probably get lyched for saying this but I've always thought a small turbo diesel would have paired nicely with the Jimny. 

Having driven my Discovery td5 and jimny off-road they're both undeniably capable. The only thing the jimny lacks is engine braking on steep traverses and low down grunt to get you over obstacles in a relaxing/controled way (without slipping the clutch and giving it beans). 

Still adore my little zook despite that though. I'll follow your build with interest 300! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2021 09:14 #236474 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
Slipped clutch is the main reason I have gone automatic this time round, so much easier off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
08 Jul 2021 14:48 - 08 Jul 2021 14:49 #236529 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
If I happened to have the chance of vidoeing/photographing and interviewing the owner of a UK supercharged Gen4, what specific points/questions would you like me to ask. 

I know what a supercharger is but my knowledge ends there and I would want to make it something that people want to see.

Give me a list.... 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 14:49 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, 300bhpton
More
08 Jul 2021 14:57 - 08 Jul 2021 14:58 #236530 by lightning
1/how many times have you gone backwards through a hedge in the vehicle

2/have you contacted a race circuit to see if they want your used rear tyres as crash barriers

3/Have you come up with an alternative use for snapped driveshafts rather than throwing them away

4/Does anywhere offer discounts on head gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets if you buy them in bulk
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 14:58 by lightning.
More
08 Jul 2021 15:00 #236531 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
I know the answers to those. its none.

It will be a brand new build at the time.

So more technical questions......

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
More
08 Jul 2021 15:02 #236532 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
Questions around a supercharged Jimny:

- how does it fare as a daily driver, still as controllable or more highly strung?
- has the owner suffered any reliability issues as a result, I assume the boost must stress the engine more, but is it by an acceptable amount?
- how has fuel consumption changed since installation?
- how was the engine remapped to accomodate the change, reprogramming of the OEM ECU, or a piggyback?

Supercharging is something I'm very interested in doing, but the lack of UK supplier/expertise is making me wary of committing. Oh and I don't have £5k spare at the moment :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds