BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Going up big dunes

• hai88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2021 16:35 #236143 by hai88
Going up big dunes was created by hai88
Hey everyone!
I have a 2017 Jimny which I love very much. I have went on numerous technical trips but only one of them included big dunes.
I really want to know - what is your formula for going up big dunes?
I have let my tyres down (MT in standrd size) to 10 psi which is roughly 0.7 bar. Im afraid to go lower to avoid getting the tyre of the rim.
I have tried going in low range, 2nd gear, 1st gear and in high range in 2nd. 
Problem is, in low range, the car isnt fast enough to keep momentum up the dune.
In high range the car is fast enough but power is cut down due to stability control engaging over 40 km/h even if its been turned off. 
I read somewhere you can disconnect the plug (somewhere behind the dashboard) to have the system disconnect completely but I just wanna go up some big dunes without buying a 4l land cruiser.

I would love for some advice! 
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2021 19:02 #236146 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Going up big dunes
Use 3rd gear low range?

• hai88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2021 21:21 #236152 by hai88
Replied by hai88 on topic Going up big dunes
Hey thanks for the reply.
It brings me back to the fact that spinning wheels on the soft sand will cause the system to engage and make me lose power to the spinning wheels.
I also read that you shouldnt drive fast on 4wd-L but Im here to learn so Im open to any bit on information :)

More
26 Jun 2021 06:35 #236154 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: hai88

More
26 Jun 2021 07:30 #236155 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Going up big dunes
250 HP diff locks and remove all electronic "aids"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hai88

• hai88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2021 08:56 #236157 by hai88
Replied by hai88 on topic Going up big dunes
Thanks for the ideas!
I think Ive found the answer, like Keithy wrote, about removing aids.
Someone wrote about ESC service mode that you can have a wire short the plug and then it disables it until you start the car again. 
I saw a few pictures but have no experience in such stuff so Ill go dig a little bit more.
If someone has a guide for it Ill be happy to read :)
Thanks again!

More
26 Jun 2021 13:01 #236161 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Going up big dunes
I was under the impression that stability control didn't engage in low range but I could be wrong. You could disconnect the speed sensor on the transfer case for an easy fix. 40km/h isn't fast so low range will be fine at that speed. Just don't use it on the highway!

More
27 Jun 2021 17:19 #236182 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Going up big dunes
Mud terrains are not the answer. The Arabs use little or no tread. That way the hardened crust is not ripped up. You need to accelerate at a rate that doesn't destroy the sand surface and then back off as you near the summit.

Roger

More
27 Jul 2021 16:21 #237043 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Going up big dunes
or you could go all out 100k ish

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
29 Jul 2021 15:24 #237122 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Going up big dunes
I thought the way to go up a sand dune was in reverse- plugs out and wind it on the starting handle :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds