BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

This free 20 Min mod vastly improved my Jimny's offroad performance!!

More
18 Jun 2021 09:08 #235905 by saxj

Talking about the shocks and stuff:

Does anyone have a part number for Gabriel HDPs that will fit a Gen4 without a lift kit?

The standard shocks really seem a bit light for offroading.

The stock shocks are terrible. Maybe get hold of Des Sol - They may know what the stock replacements HDP part numbers are.  However the advantages of the 50mm lift far out way just replacing the shocks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2021 09:10 #235906 by saxj

A very good and thorough review. Maybe you should make a wiki entry with it.

Jimnybits sell a disconnect kit for the roll bar. Its cut in the middle of the bar so achieves the disconnect without touching the droplinks. works pretty well too.
I don't know of anyone doing a quick disconnect for the Gen 4 yet.

More
18 Jun 2021 09:13 #235907 by saxj

On my previous gen3 jimny I also removed the anti rolebar. It made a huge difference, but i had much better aftermarket lift kit with hdp shocks.

Offroad i had huge increase in articulation.
And no i never had a spring came off.

I have heard rumors that desol in KZN is busy designing quick disconnets for jimny.

I have their 50mm lift kit on my new gen4. Exceptional system.
It's not rumour, they have posted it on their web site as a coming attraction. But it's only for the Gen 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
18 Jun 2021 12:50 #235911 by Busta

Busta - I assume MOT time is no problem or do you refit it?

I haven't had problems but in theory it is a fail to not have one fitted where it was a standard fitment, so that's worth keeping in mind.

• Groenewald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2021 14:14 - 18 Jun 2021 14:15 #235915 by Groenewald
If I can get hold of another sway bar I will experiment with making my own disconnect. (or maybe I should just do it)

The center disconnect will be easy to make - cut the sway bar in half, then weld on a couple of pieces of flat steel with one or two holes for pins. There's a lot of space to do some substantial welding on the sway bar.

Two pins and the leverage offset from the centerline of the sway bar means that the pins will not shear off.

Interesting note: it looks like this guy added a couple of spacers above the sway bar - Adaptation for a lift kit maybe?

One or two concerns looking at this:

The stiffness of the drop links - can they flip around?
What are the chances of a gap developing between the cut through ends of the sway bar in the middle?
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 14:15 by Groenewald.

More
18 Jun 2021 14:59 #235919 by Soeley
First time I have really looked at this properly, but if you look at the  JimnyBits , quick disconnect. It looks like the kit is made of two tubes that fit over the sway bar by a good amount and the mounts are up close to the tube ends, so they should move apart.
Also with the grease nipple being there, I'm guessing the actual joint is a bar and sleeve affair that rotates in itself. Not as simple as cutting the bar and welding plate to the cut ends.
They also offer a ready welded one, don't know if that is on exchange basis?

Would like to know if the Gen3 and Gen4 sway bar is the same part number?

• Groenewald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2021 17:03 #235926 by Groenewald
Hi Soeley, I agree 100%.

I just decided this is going to be my next project.

You can see where they made a cutout in the tubes going over the sway bar, then welded them joining the tube and sway bar together.
It looks like the interior rod extends to the left in this photo, which is why they have a grease nipple on that side.

Checked: the sway bar is solid, so the sleeve itself goes over the sway bar on one side, which means the swaybar cut is off center and the sway bar serves as the interior rod.

I will do a cad drawing to get the dimensions 100% correct and then post here for some comments and feedback before I build.

I can make this in my workshop in a couple of hours. Bright mild steel should work, and this will be a nice job for the Tig Welder.

I am thinking of making a thicker single locking pin to go with a pair of beefier plates. What I am looking for is a spannerless quick release, maybe held in place with a split pin.

With the sleeves butting up against the mounts, right now I dont think it is necessary to bolt and torque the whole thing. Especially if the plates are about 10mm thick.

I try to work to very close tolerances, but this is not really a precision job. If you end up with a bit of play between the sleeves and the mounts, a couple of oilon bushes will sort that out.

More
18 Jun 2021 18:03 #235930 by lookonimages

saxj wrote:

On my previous gen3 jimny I also removed the anti rolebar. It made a huge difference, but i had much better aftermarket lift kit with hdp shocks.

Offroad i had huge increase in articulation.
And no i never had a spring came off.

I have heard rumors that desol in KZN is busy designing quick disconnets for jimny.

I have their 50mm lift kit on my new gen4. Exceptional system.
It's not rumour, they have posted it on their web site as a coming attraction. But it's only for the Gen 3.

Thanks, thats a bummer, was looking forward to a gen4 quick disconnect from Desol. They put a lot into their designs and manufacture quality products.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

• Groenewald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2021 18:07 - 18 Jun 2021 18:11 #235931 by Groenewald
Here's a quick design....  Will tweak this as I go along. 
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 18:11 by Groenewald.

• Groenewald
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2021 18:19 - 18 Jun 2021 18:27 #235933 by Groenewald
The most time consuming part will be milling out the holes in the two plates and rounding and bevelling the edges.

The quality of the tubes are also important, if there is a lengthwise seam in the middle I will have to get rid of it. Also the wall must be thick enough.

I need to do some planning for the angle of the plates as well. At full upwards travel they must not crash into something. I know the radiator is somewhere above this assembly.

OK another note to self:   Check the torsional rigidity of the sway bar. The less the better since this contraption will definitely interfere with it.

Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 18:27 by Groenewald.

More
18 Jun 2021 19:10 #235938 by Soeley

More
18 Jun 2021 20:45 #235945 by RainerK
I would think that 5mm wall thickness is sufficient but maybe get a seamless pipe with certified, weldable quality, e.g., P235GH.

And maybe add a greasing spot, at least I saw one on the Jimnybits one. This might be good to prevent corrosion and squeaking.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds