BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2021 18:30 #235004 by Owl
1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling was created by Owl
Hi All,  G13BB Jimny,  is there any use in putting in a bonnet scoop or a couple bonnet vents for the purpose of air flow heat extraction.  Only read a little over the NET but it appears to be a black art,  or just plain BS?  will bonnet vents and or a air scoop do any good to enhance engine cooling,  or at least help extract built up heat on hill climbs and hot weather.   Owl.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 May 2021 19:09 #235005 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling
The idea is sound but the issue is type of vent and placement in terms of it being effective. What works when stationary is not necessarily going to work at speed. I would suggest something up by the scuttle panel.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 May 2021 19:14 - 12 May 2021 19:40 #235006 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic 1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling
Tough one to answer with any accuracy.
The heat in the engine is just that, it's in the engine. The only effective way out for this heat is via the cooling system, the interaction with the radiator and the air flow through it.
Yes a percentage of the heat is radiating from the engine surface, but it's not designed to be cooled this way otherwise it would be covered in cooling fins. 
So cutting holes in the bonnet is only really going to dump the trapped heat radiating from the engine surface when stationary, of little benefit to the actual engine, but may help peripheral components that are not directly part of the engine.

That's stationary, but then we move forward.

Air that flows through the radiator is sucked under the vehicle, so the air under the bonnet is constantly changing. At this point any bonnet holes may make things slightly better, or slightly worse, as this under bonnet vacuum could reduced by the holes, potentially reducing air flow through the radiator. Only Suzuki or wind tunnel tests will answer the question. The reality is for a moving vehicle you don't need them.

So what will work.

Fit a larger or more efficient electric cooling fan and have the ability to switch it on independently of the thermostat. Keep this running all the time when crawling slowly, it will cool the engine and move that hot air.

Just my ramblings or hot air, but bonnet holes do little to help the engine in my opinion. They can look good though.
Mike 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 May 2021 19:40 by Scimike.

More
12 May 2021 21:18 #235007 by Roger Fairclough
Suzuki carry out hot and cold weather testing, just like all the other car makers and the degree of torture they inflict is far more than you or I will ever do.

If you suffer with overheating, then the first port of call must be the cooling system but my first question must be.

Does your motor overheat and what are the symptoms?

Roger

More
12 May 2021 23:36 #235008 by Old Neil

Owl wrote: Hi All,  G13BB Jimny,  is there any use in putting in a bonnet scoop or a couple bonnet vents for the purpose of air flow heat extraction.  Only read a little over the NET but it appears to be a black art,  or just plain BS?  will bonnet vents and or a air scoop do any good to enhance engine cooling,  or at least help extract built up heat on hill climbs and hot weather.   Owl.  

I did a mod to my G13BB cooling system (sorry not to do with bonnet scoop)i fitted a vitara heater pickup to the back of the head connected a electric circulation pump plumbed it into heater system

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
13 May 2021 09:50 #235009 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling
Modifications aren't an alternative to maintenance. If you're having problems with overheating it's because something is broken.

More
13 May 2021 12:05 #235012 by Old Neil

Busta wrote: Modifications aren't an alternative to maintenance. If you're having problems with overheating it's because something is broken.

Thanks Busta but the water pump is at the front thermostat is at the front, how can you guarantee coolant gets to all the cylinders evenly, i thought it would take the path of least resistance. The G13BB in a front wheel drive car has a thermostat at the opposite end of the motor
Over here the G13BB was only in the jimny for 2 years, don't know about the rest of the world, till they sorted the M series motor
You are totally right about proper maintenance is a key

More
13 May 2021 16:09 #235014 by Roger Fairclough
Yes I know it's a different company, but they all work the same way.

So, I worked for the Rover co. on engine testing and the flow of water through the block was tested by attaching thermo couples - festooning might be a better word - all over the engine. Each was monitored to ensure that a flow of water cooled every part that needed it.

As Busta said, if the system is working correctly you will not have any problems.

Roger

More
13 May 2021 21:31 #235017 by Old Neil
I also agree if proper maintenance done the cooling system works
It's just a mod that I've done useing Suzuki parts I've done other things and planning to do more and dreaming if i only had a M series motor jimny mmm that would kick dirt

More
15 May 2021 21:45 #235069 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic 1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling
I like vents that vent......gives a nice mirage at low speeds and the flow of air through the radiator improved.....not unlike lifting the rear of a bonnet to aid.

Never had overheating issues myself.... helps mostly getting rid of turbo heat.....and I simply like vents! :D

Attachments:

More
15 May 2021 22:09 - 15 May 2021 22:11 #235071 by Reason2doubt
With my 1999 G13BB I drove from Wales to Italy. I was worried about the heat as the car had never been in such a climate and I thought for sure it was going to have overheating issues, but it didn't. It managed to keep cool in high 30's and some days it even cracked 40 when we went to south Italy on the motorways. I wouldn't consider putting in vents to improve heat dissipation, I think improved cooling can come from other things (all aluminium radiator perhaps?). If it is overheating, I would suggest digging into the reason why, because it shouldn't be an issue in any 'normal' conditions. 

EDIT: I do like Keith's vents though...from an aesthetic perspective! Would make mine look sporty if it was stationary, but the illusion would die once it pulls away! 
Last edit: 15 May 2021 22:11 by Reason2doubt.

More
16 May 2021 20:38 #235128 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic 1999 Jimny G13BB Cooling
I've got...

Just Keithy's larger vents in my bonnet, plus a pie warmer that will capture some of the radiated heat emited by the engine and store it within pastry products for later heat dissipation into human bodies, probably around lunch time :woohoo:

But seriously, on all my projects (some of which I do actually complete now and again! ;) ) I always fit a new radiator and thermostat...
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds