BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Clutch pedal

More
11 May 2021 10:45 #234963 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Clutch pedal
New to driving a Jimny, and a petrol vehicle for that matter. But not new to manual. Been driving manual diesels most of the time before I got the Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2021 10:48 #234964 by Stefan
Guess it's time then. Assuming it has never been changed before I got it by the other two owners.

More
11 May 2021 10:53 #234965 by Stefan
Didn't know that.

Must I revv up to 4000 in first gear?

I don't know if it is adjusted correctly. I'll just have to send it to Suzuki either way.

More
11 May 2021 10:56 #234966 by Stefan
Alright, sounds promising. I did short shift at first but after I had exhaust leaks to repair and did some googling I found short shifting is a bit bad for the cats, my father told me 3000 is best for petrol engines.

More
11 May 2021 11:34 #234968 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Clutch pedal
I suggested 4,000 rpm as that should be at about max. torque but as others have said, it sounds as if a new clutch is the order of the day.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 May 2021 11:53 #234970 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Clutch pedal
The vvt doesn't come on till around 4000 rpm and is good for another 2000 rpm after that. These are small engines and need many rpm to make power and torque. Don't be afraid of the top half of the rev range.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 May 2021 12:09 - 11 May 2021 12:10 #234971 by Stefan
Thank you for the input. I'll need to make absolute sure about the case before stating it to my father (owner). He will just say it can't be, so I'll need solid proof, and he doesn't like what people suggest on the internet.
Last edit: 11 May 2021 12:10 by Stefan.

More
11 May 2021 12:12 - 11 May 2021 12:12 #234972 by Stefan
This Jimny hardly accelerates above 3000 rpm except in 5th gear I can get to 100km/h at about 3200 rpm.
Last edit: 11 May 2021 12:12 by Stefan.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 May 2021 17:33 - 11 May 2021 17:33 #234981 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Clutch pedal
Then it needs an Italian tune up also known as a good long thrashing up a motorway. When I first got my current Jimny off my parents it too didn't like the top of the rev range, it got much better for being used properly. A Jimny is not a big lumbering diesel it has more in common with a sports bike.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 11 May 2021 17:33 by Lambert.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 May 2021 17:19 #235003 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Clutch pedal

This Jimny hardly accelerates above 3000 rpm except in 5th gear I can get to 100km/h at about 3200 rpm.
That proves what Lambert is saying. They need revs and lots of them to get the best from the engine.

The M series engine when properly tuned doesn't start to do anything interesting before 3000 rpm. If its VVT then that kicks in at about 4000 meaning they are clearly intended to be up in the revs before any action. Theres plenty of M series engines flying about in swifts with a 8000+ rev limiter set. Ive set mine at 6600, which is very conservative for what it can do. 

Italian tune up time without telling the owner ;-) 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
13 May 2021 17:24 #235015 by Stefan
Need to check what type mine is, think it's an M type. What's with the 16 valves in such a small engine too?

I'll try the Italian tune up, just don't have a lot of open roads out here in the country.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds