BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny That Wasn't Starting....

More
28 Apr 2021 10:32 #234743 by Doo
Hi all, I posted a while ago about a friends Jim that wasn't starting after having it's engine re-installed.

We checked everything over & over, made new wires & connections for the corroded ones, checked every fuse over and over, but still nothing.

I knew I had to see the MIL and the immob lights before she would start, so I went through everything again. Stumped! 

I decided to remove the two relays under the bonnet and test them. Sure enough, 96 ohms for the coils, but nothing on the switches! So I hooked each one up to a big battery and ran another test. At first, the (first) relay clicked on and off in a chattering motion, then settled down and stayed "made" until I disconnected the battery. I tested it over and over, sure enough it was now showing that there was current passing through the switches. So did the same with the 2nd relay and it also chattered before settling down and it too showed power was flowing.

So I kept them naked (I removed the rubber cover then the plastic shell to expose the innards so I could inspect them closely) and re-inserted them into my friends Jim. I asked him to switch on the ign and look for the two yellow lights... As he switched on, I heard the fuel pump relay click and fuel flow through the fuel rail. I knew she'd start. He confirmed the yellow lights and she fired up immediately 

So all along, these relays had been playing, but not! I cant say with any certainty if putting them on the higher amp battery frightened them into life, but I can say the car is running and my friend is delighted (or with the presence of the two missing dash lamps should that be "re-lighted"   ).

So I figured you guys needed this info in case, like us, you have someone tearing their hair out with a simple, but infuriating non start issue 

Thanks all.

Has anyone see the plot?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, jackonlyjack, Gadget, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2021 13:20 #234745 by Gadget
I love posts like this with interesting troubleshooting titbits. I may never need the info, but always useful to have, thanks :)

• petejones69
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2021 17:33 #234980 by petejones69
Replied by petejones69 on topic Jimny That Wasn't Starting....
This could be what is afflicting mine - checked everywhere for mouse nibbles in the wiring and no breaks as far as I can tell. The fuel pump doesn't start nor does the relay fire; the amber engine warning light doesn't come on when I turn the key in the ignition.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds