BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 rust

More
12 Apr 2021 20:23 #234423 by Micheal
Gen4 rust was created by Micheal
Hi folks
Had slow puncture so swapped wheel for spare today. Was disappointed to see the mounting brackets behind the spare wheel were already rusting. The car is a late 2018 SZ4.
Are we supposed to take of all these metal bits and get them galvanised?
Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2021 21:14 - 12 Apr 2021 21:15 #234424 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen4 rust
Hi,
Don't know what the rust warranty is like, usually worthless unless it's a hole, but worth a read or a visit to the dealer and see what they say.
As the replacement (if they do anything) is going to be just as bad I favour DIY solution.What's the finish, painted or plated?
I guess it's one shot paint, the favoured finish for black brackets and suspension parts.
My G3 spare wheel carrier was painted (one shot) black. I removed and treated the surface rust and resprayed, etch, prime, black wheel finish and lacquer. Took a day or two but so far this finish is lasting well. The other option is to take it to an industrial coaters and get it blasted and enamelled. Try to go to one that finishes motorcycle frames etc, they tend to do a much better job. Done properly it's a much more durable finish, done poorly it's worse than paint.
Or get it galvanised!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 Apr 2021 21:15 by Scimike.

More
12 Apr 2021 21:14 #234425 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Gen4 rust
l would complain to your dealer, it's possible to produce painted metal parts that last longer than three years before going rusty.
Although it would be a long time before the rust turned into actual corrosion. Just look underneath any car over two years old, all the metal parts are generally covered in surface rust.

More
13 Apr 2021 10:09 #234432 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Gen4 rust
Go to the dealer, it will be covered under warranty.
I had a wheel bolt which went rusty and they swapped it straight away.

More
13 Apr 2021 12:18 #234437 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen4 rust
It's a bit sad that the bracket has rusted so quickly. I didn't think rust was a problem on modern cars until I got a Jimny.

If the dealer won't play ball, my advice, get a tin of black Hammerite, wire brush the bracket first and brush paint a couple of coats on to it, you will never have to worry about it again.

I have just bought a 1L tin of the stuff (about £9) to paint my motor bike stand and brake pedal, the old Hammerite had been on for 25 years and took some bringing off with a wire brush.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
13 Apr 2021 13:23 #234440 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Gen4 rust
I had the same issue and what I asked myself was, how does the rest of my Jimny look?

After inspecting, repairing one spot underneath the bumper I got my complete Jimny corrosion protected with fat, inside, outside, underneath, .... .

More
15 Apr 2021 12:44 - 15 Apr 2021 12:45 #234487 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Gen4 rust
l think you have to bear in mind that surface rust on a bracket will probably occur on low cost mainstream cars where these parts are just painted metal.

There's a big difference between surface rust and actual corrosion. Has anyone actually seen a spare wheel bracket corroded to the point of needing replacement?

Having said that, l would still want to paint it, or get the dealer to sort it out.

But l wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just look underneath any car over three years old, at the rusty pressed steel suspension parts and various brackets covered in surface rust.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 12:45 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds