BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny prices

• mikec
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2021 19:00 #237493 by mikec
Replied by mikec on topic Jimny prices
There are a million evokes to one Jimny.
When we (Porsche UK) tested the Range Rover against the Cayenne at Porsche, on the 0-80-0, at the end of the stop both front seats moved forward of their own accord until my knees were touching the bulkhead!
I've run three Swifts and had NO issues in 180K of serious driving,.including lapping Spa, Instructing at the Nürburgring and thrashing round every circuit in the UK.
Don't compare JLR products to Suzukis!
Unless you run a tow truck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2021 20:26 - 11 Aug 2021 21:50 #237494 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Jimny prices
l guess it depends on your financial situation. lf l was rich l could possibly see myself buying a Jimny and keeping it in the garage just to look at.

A bit like the Arabs who have hundreds of cars in underground bunkers and never drive them.

l was speaking to a friend today who is well off, and was telling him l considered selling our Jimny as l would get £10,000 more than the list price.

He said "it's not worth it for £10,000" which is probably the case for him, as it's likely pocket change in his world, but for me £10,000 is a lot of money and would double the amount of savings that we have.

However
These £30,000 Jimnys don't seem to be flying off the dealers shelves, but if they can be bought on a PCP they might move, because the retail price is of less importance than the monthly payments.

And if they are low because of the high MGFV then people will "buy" even at those prices.

As for a £36,000 Jimny, this sometimes happens in the classic car market and is often done by dealers to try and push values up.
For instance, if TR4's are selling for £20,000 then a dealer lists a nice one for £30,000
Once the "silly price" comments subside the car sits there on sale (with 430 "watchers", mostly owners of that model) until some clown who just won the lottery buys it.
(that clown would probably be me, if l'd won the lottery!)
lmmediately asking prices for TR4's rise, as people think they are "worth £30,000" 
And maybe they are, if someone will pay the money.

lt can also work the other way, making the £20,000 ones seem like "bargains" because good ones are "making £30,000" and the dealers stock of £20,000 TR4's is snapped up by eager punters.

Going back to Jimny prices there's a 1,300 mile 2019 SZ5 on Autotrader at £28,995 so £36,000 may be a bit ambitious.

Last edit: 11 Aug 2021 21:50 by lightning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrRobin

More
11 Aug 2021 22:00 #237495 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Jimny prices

There are a million evokes to one Jimny.
When we (Porsche UK) tested the Range Rover against the Cayenne at Porsche, on the 0-80-0, at the end of the stop both front seats moved forward of their own accord until my knees were touching the bulkhead!
I've run three Swifts and had NO issues in 180K of serious driving,.including lapping Spa, Instructing at the Nürburgring and thrashing round every circuit in the UK.
Don't compare JLR products to Suzukis!
Unless you run a tow truck.
I suggest you take the £30k and go and buy a nice little Porsche if I was you, I think it might suit you better and will certainly be more suited to setting fast times on those track days.  Plus it will get you to daughter’s wedding faster.

In fact here is an offer for you, I will swap your Jimny for my Boxster.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Aug 2021 22:21 #237497 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Jimny prices
I'd love to say that I'd turn down a £30k offer, but £10k is a lot of money for me too and I'd probably take it, then live to regret it every time I saw another Jimny!

More
12 Aug 2021 07:12 - 12 Aug 2021 07:17 #237500 by lightning
Those were my thoughts!

As the O/P commented, what else is there to buy instead? lt would perhaps make sense if you replaced it with a much cheaper vehicle and used the money elsewhere.

Alternatively you could buy a more upmarket car such as maybe a Volvo XC40 with your profits.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2021 07:17 by lightning.

More
12 Aug 2021 07:53 - 12 Aug 2021 07:54 #237501 by lightning
lf you look around a bit, there are quite a few late
model
low mileage SZ5 Jimnys for sale nearer £26,000
Still high, but better than the £30,000 being asked by Suzuki dealers!

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2021 07:54 by lightning.

More
12 Aug 2021 07:56 #237502 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Jimny prices
It's everyone's own choice what they want to do with their own money/car, but it really annoys me that there are genuine Jimny enthusiasts out there who would love to get their hands on a Gen 4 but are being priced out of the market by speculators and people who want one because it looks 'cool'. It doesn't do cars any good stood doing nothing, they are made to be used. I really look after my car but at the same time use it as well. What's the point of buying one not to use it when there are people out there desperate to own and use one. Let's hope it starts and has no issues on it's way to Portugal after it's long stand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
12 Aug 2021 09:48 #237505 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Jimny prices
Driving into Kilmarnock to procure two oxtails, I was very surprised to see a 2020 Jimny for sale on a non-Suzuki franchised forecourt for £27995. Suddenly I was reflecting on what mine is worth and are folk actually paying the big money? As I drove away, I looked at the poverty in the town centre and surrounding housing schemes and wondered what is going on in this mad economy.

For those of you who are curious as to the specification of this Jimny

More
12 Aug 2021 11:11 #237508 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Jimny prices

It's everyone's own choice what they want to do with their own money/car, but it really annoys me that there are genuine Jimny enthusiasts out there who would love to get their hands on a Gen 4 but are being priced out of the market by speculators and people who want one because it looks 'cool'. It doesn't do cars any good stood doing nothing, they are made to be used. I really look after my car but at the same time use it as well. What's the point of buying one not to use it when there are people out there desperate to own and use one. Let's hope it starts and has no issues on it's way to Portugal after it's long stand.

100% agree.  There may be hope yet, I was sent this graph the other day, it is Manheim's used vehicle index, it shows over the last year or so how used car prices have rocketed, apparently it has been put down to people buying new or nearly new cars then selling them on for a profit.  This is all cars and will have been driven by the likes of WeBuyAnyCar (and their ilk) and then selling used cars through Carzoo/Cinch, this has changed the used car market more than anything else.

Add in to that difficulties in getting components for new cars and used nearly new suddenly become attractive.

Of course this is all cars, but I don't suppose the Jimny will be any different.  The graph shows the used price has been falling since May, looks like the silly prices might have peaked and will be on the way back down, which is great news for real owners, but not so good for the speculators.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2021 11:18 #237509 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Jimny prices
You're right it is the whole second hand car market has gone bonkers. I was looking at trading the Jimny for a second hand Evoque, they were offering me £25k two months ago for the Jimny. However the Evoques were also expensive, 50k on the clock and 5 year old for £28k+. They told me if I come back next week the price on the window screen will have probably gone up.

More
12 Aug 2021 11:26 #237510 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Jimny prices
We've given up trying to buy a new car for my wife, no one will commit to a delivery date other than "maybe the end of the year, maybe next year". That's Peugeot, jaguar and volvo.  The price they've offered for hers in part exchange has increased significantly over the past 6 months, but they won't guarantee it to still be valid by the time the new car arrives, cos they have no idea when that'll be. We'll wait for the market to settle down a bit and try again. 
My son's golf r-line trade in value has increased £5k over the last 3 months too. 

More
12 Aug 2021 13:44 #237513 by lightning

You're right it is the whole second hand car market has gone bonkers. I was looking at trading the Jimny for a second hand Evoque, they were offering me £25k two months ago for the Jimny. However the Evoques were also expensive, 50k on the clock and 5 year old for £28k+. They told me if I come back next week the price on the window screen will have probably gone up.

Well, l would rather have the Jimny anyway! As the O/P said in one of his posts, there are a "million Evoque's to one Jimny"

Well not quite a million, but the Jimny is definitely a lot more exclusive and much cooler.
Every Yummy Mummy on our estate has an Evoque but there's no one else with a Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds