BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Turbocharging

More
22 Mar 2021 22:33 #233941 by lightning
Turbocharging was created by lightning
l was thinking, it would be great to fit a light pressure turbo to our Gen 4 Jimny, l am not talking about a big power increase, because that would just overwhelm the chassis and make the vehicle a handful to drive.

l was thinking maybe 20-30bhp plus more torque at lower RPM

l don't know if anybody has done this, the 1.5 engine is quite new, l know there's a crazy 200bhp one on Youtube but that's not what l was looking for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2021 23:20 #233945 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Turbocharging
How about exhaust mods + ECU reflash air cleaner mods, didn't the swift release a few more shetlands

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
23 Mar 2021 08:07 - 23 Mar 2021 08:08 #233953 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Turbocharging
The best option is to make full use of the power you already have. More bottom end is a luxury for lazy driving, but changing down a gear to put the engine closer to peak power should be a habit, not a hardship. Unless you find yourself reaching the rev limiter on every journey then fitting a turbo is just adding complexity and unreliability.

Re. upgrading the exhaust and intake, you are unlikely to see any bottom end gains going down this route and even the gain in peak power will be small.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2021 08:08 by Busta.

More
23 Mar 2021 12:14 #233957 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Turbocharging
Just a thought, wouldn't a turbo make low 4x4 a bit troublesome, it would keep kicking in when it's not required?

More
23 Mar 2021 13:01 #233959 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Turbocharging
No, you would still have complete control with your right foot

More
23 Mar 2021 13:24 #233960 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Turbocharging
I'm not an expert on forced induction, but isn't charging much harder on an engine with a high compression ratio like the Jimny's? I'd also love an extra 30bhp, especially with having an auto box which stifles performance. I just don't want to fork out £1000s and detonate the engine in the process! :)

More
23 Mar 2021 13:59 #233961 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Turbocharging
Conventional tuning on the Jimny works relatively well but it's more expensive to tune the 1300 than it is to change to a 1600.....

4-2-1 exhaust manifold with a 2" sports cat, single box system with a K&N panel filter worked pretty well on the 1300, more torque was available sooner, making driving more pleasent. Fewer gearchanges, holding 30mph in 4th uphill, just generally easier..... but you could of had an engine swap for the cost.....

sniper

Attachments:

More
23 Mar 2021 14:47 #233962 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Turbocharging

Foxtrot wrote: Just a thought, wouldn't a turbo make low 4x4 a bit troublesome, it would keep kicking in when it's not required?

Plenty of turbo charged 4x4's....

More
23 Mar 2021 14:50 #233963 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Turbocharging

Gadget wrote: I'm not an expert on forced induction, but isn't charging much harder on an engine with a high compression ratio like the Jimny's? I'd also love an extra 30bhp, especially with having an auto box which stifles performance. I just don't want to fork out £1000s and detonate the engine in the process! :)

It depends on how strong the standard engine is. But turbocharging n/a engines has been a common aftermarket mod for decades. Normally they are low boost setups (4-7psi), but should offer noticeable gains. They have been developed and sold for Ford Capri's, MG Maestros and even Mustangs and Corvettes.

More
23 Mar 2021 15:06 #233964 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Turbocharging

300bhpton wrote:

Foxtrot wrote: Just a thought, wouldn't a turbo make low 4x4 a bit troublesome, it would keep kicking in when it's not required?

Plenty of turbo charged 4x4's....

Yes, just remembered the 600cc GEN4 variant has a turbo..

More
23 Mar 2021 17:02 - 23 Mar 2021 17:02 #233967 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Turbocharging
What about supercharging?  I've seen a kit for around £2000 (maybe more with shipping).  Pretty much bolt it on your engine and get it on a dyno (as far as I know).  A bit more expensive, but more linear power and you don't have to worry about stressing engine components like you might with a turbo.  A lot more expensive than an engine change, but almost doubles the power apparently.  I've had no experience with this, just what I've read, so someone out there may know much more about it than I do.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2021 17:02 by Mike G.

More
23 Mar 2021 21:20 #233969 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Turbocharging
I am no expert on this, but I believe (happy to be told different) that it's more involved than just bolting on a turbo if you want it to still drive and or work.
As a min I would expect a need to lower compression, alter ignition timing and fuel map so you somehow need to gain control of the ECU. Better breathing so exhaust and inlet improvement. That's assuming the cam profile is suitable and the engine is generally upto the BHP increase.
All this  = £££££££££££ and lots of time to develop.
So it's generally cheaper to just fit a better engine or bigger engine with all this sorted for you. 
Tuning is an expensive can of worms that will more often reduce BHP or just move the curve rather than improve over the complete rev range which is ideal. You only know what you have achieve on a rolling road, so that costs also.
No cheap answers at the moment.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds