BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Gen4 Snorkel

More
07 Dec 2022 11:38 #246250 by 300bhpton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2022 20:20 #246256 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I bet you'll have yours fitted before me 

More
07 Dec 2022 21:47 #246257 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Someone has put up a video installing theirs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, 300bhpton, Motacilla

More
08 Dec 2022 17:39 - 08 Dec 2022 17:40 #246262 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
A fairly tidy installation, no big ragged holes to cut in the bodywork. Underhood looks quite nice. (Although the cutting and drilling was still hard for me to watch -- I don't think I would have the stomach to apply a Dremel to my new Jimny just yet.)

I would have been tempted to do a little paint touch-up afterwards, even if it turned it into a 2-day install.  Maybe not a big deal.

Dumb question, I've never fitted one of these, isn't the opening of the intake nozzle -- what he calls the "cappello" in the video -- supposed to face the rear?
Last edit: 08 Dec 2022 17:40 by Motacilla.

More
08 Dec 2022 17:50 #246263 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I'd say paint on the raw edges of the cut metal is a MUST to prevent it from rusting, I used "CRC Zinc it" which is a "cold galvanizing" aerosol spray, and the snorkel head can be fitted either way - some snorkel manufacturers have dire warnings about using them with the opening facing the rear, claiming it will cause a vacuum to develop possibly starving the engine of air and damaging it, but as far as I know, there is no evidence to prove it.

The evidence I've seen suggests that when used in a dusty environment (not all snorkels are fitted for water crossings), facing them backwards appears to reduces the dust trapped by the air filter.

More
08 Dec 2022 18:43 - 08 Dec 2022 18:45 #246264 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I have some body coloured touchup paint, so I'll be using that.

The marketing of the snorkel is somewhat misleading. As they claim no drilling of holes is required....

Clearly a complete lie when you have to drill 2 holes for the install. The instructions are also rather lacking IMO. Info on how to remove some of the items would be a pretty basic expectation. There also doesn't seem to be a template for drilling the hole, so you'll have to mock fit the snorkel first to get an exact location, either that or a lucky guess.

They also charge an extra fee for using PayPal, which is against PayPal terms, so once installed I will be raising a dispute for the fee charged. @Soeley did you use PayPal too?

As for creating a vacuum if the head faces backwards. I seriously can't see the physics on how this would be possible. Also if it was true the engine would stall with no air, which won't cause damage. Or you'd get massively reduced performance, without air going in, there won't be bang for the ignition.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2022 18:45 by 300bhpton.

More
09 Dec 2022 21:01 - 09 Dec 2022 21:02 #246281 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I would have thought that genuine 3m VHB tape would work rather than screws, They tape and glue most cars together nowadays/

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 09 Dec 2022 21:02 by mlines.

More
09 Dec 2022 21:31 #246282 by Soeley

@Soeley did you use PayPal too?

No I paid on credit card.

More
09 Dec 2022 22:48 #246283 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there may be a problem.

All the video's and details are for a left hand drive Jimny and that means the brake booster and master cylinder are on the left whereas ours are on the right. This means the flexy hose may not fit in the position shown in the video.

I would suggest that a trial run of the hose alone to determine if it can be fitted and what , if anything needs to be moved/rerouted to get a satisfactory fit.

Roger

More
10 Dec 2022 13:11 #246290 by Soeley
Just been out to look and I think it should be fine (fingers crossed  )

More
10 Dec 2022 16:48 #246291 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Fitted!

Not too difficult. I’ll put a full write up in my thread. A couple of pitfalls. Quality overall isn’t bad, but it isn’t quite a 100% straight fit. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
10 Dec 2022 18:04 #246292 by Soeley
Looking forward to hear your views.

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds