BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:breathers

More
10 Mar 2021 09:50 #233601 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re:breathers

lookonimages wrote: This is my setup on my previous gen 4.

www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread....f-breather-for-rebel

These are how I made the ends (see pics below). If water ever push up so high the water will be locked off as the intake is lower then the curve above. (Think empty bottel put upside down in bucket of water. Water will not fill into bottle)

Also by this tiime the diffs have cooled and any air sucking would have been finished in process of diff cooling..

When traversing such deep water you would have stopped, switch off vehicle. Walked the water crossing as per good 4x4 practice to know what you entering and how deep water is. In South africa back country we cross lots of rivers but here it sort of standard practice to walk any water you cross first where you see it might be deeper than 1-2 feet. So by the time you walked the water your diffs are long cooled anyway. (Water crossings i refer to is where you cannot see the depth or gauge it, i am not revering to streams here were you can see clearly it is only 1 feet deep). That way diff breathers are anyway much higher just under the bonnet.

The below has never let me down ever.

This is not critizing your breather in any way but merely a discussion on how I differ in opinion and what I know worked for me. So this is not negative criticism.

When we were in Botswana, we only walked one river. The rest there was too much risk of crocodiles and hippos. I was very glad of the Snorkel, one of the river crossings was way deeper than it looked before crossing. It ended up being over the bonnet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2021 12:26 #233604 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:breathers
In my Puch there are separate breather hoses for each component. Each ends under the bonnet in a „downside U“ with the part going down being about 20cm. So far I never had any issue with them. When I change the oil, I also clean the respective breather hose with air, but so far there was no dirt inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, lookonimages

More
10 Mar 2021 18:08 - 10 Mar 2021 18:36 #233624 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Re:breathers

saxj wrote:

These are how I made the ends (see pics below). If water ever push up so high the water will be locked off as the intake is lower then the curve above. (Think empty bottel put upside down in bucket of water. Water will not fill into bottle)

Also by this tiime the diffs have cooled and any air sucking would have been finished in process of diff cooling..

When traversing such deep water you would have stopped, switch off vehicle. Walked the water crossing as per good 4x4 practice to know what you entering and how deep water is. In South africa back country we cross lots of rivers but here it sort of standard practice to walk any water you cross first where you see it might be deeper than 1-2 feet. So by the time you walked the water your diffs are long cooled anyway. (Water crossings i refer to is where you cannot see the depth or gauge it, i am not revering to streams here were you can see clearly it is only 1 feet deep). That way diff breathers are anyway much higher just under the bonnet.

This is not critizing your breather in any way but merely a discussion on how I differ in opinion and what I know worked for me. So this is not negative criticism.

When we were in Botswana, we only walked one river. The rest there was too much risk of crocodiles and hippos. I was very glad of the Snorkel, one of the river crossings was way deeper than it looked before crossing. It ended up being over the bonnet.

Vic I think you missing the point here. We not discussing botswana neither a snorkel. We are discusing the issue of having a breather end at the top of the snorkel or under the hood :)

Still stand with my point that proper designed breather end, the breather can end under the hood if it create an airlock. By the time the water reach that hight the diif breathers has all done its sucking anyway.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 10 Mar 2021 18:36 by lookonimages.

More
10 Mar 2021 18:09 #233625 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Re:breathers

RainerK wrote: In my Puch there are separate breather hoses for each component. Each ends under the bonnet in a „downside U“ with the part going down being about 20cm. So far I never had any issue with them. When I change the oil, I also clean the respective breather hose with air, but so far there was no dirt inside.

My exact point. Proper designed breather end is what it is all about. :)

More
11 Mar 2021 11:32 #233638 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re:Re:breathers

lookonimages wrote:

saxj wrote:

Vic I think you missing the point here. We not discussing botswana neither a snorkel. We are discusing the issue of having a breather end at the top of the snorkel or under the hood :)

Still stand with my point that proper designed breather end, the breather can end under the hood if it create an airlock. By the time the water reach that hight the diif breathers has all done its sucking anyway.

You stated the importance of walking river crossings, it's not always possible.  Which highlights the need for properly fitted diff breathers, terminated as you suggest, especially when you are far from proper civilisation. On a play day, if you happened to venture into deep water, you can just go home and drain the the muck and fill with fresh oil. If you are 1000km away from home it's a little different.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds