BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mpg down

More
28 Feb 2021 11:30 - 28 Feb 2021 11:35 #233354 by 300bhpton
Mpg down was created by 300bhpton
So I have mentioned a few times on here about mpg being lower with bigger tyres. 

I've checked back and I did a run to Westcost Off-road last year to get the winch bumper fitted. Lots of motorway. I recall I set the speed limiter at 72mph which worked out to be about bang on 70mph gps. 

I got something like 38.2 on the way up and 37.6 on the way back. This was on standard tyres and my original transfer box (before being replaced under warranty, see my build thread for details). 

I've never seen more than high 39mpg. But this was commuting last Feb/March when I first got it and was running it in and driving very gentle. COVID and wfh changed these habits and mpg. So it was hard to compare. 

As the mpg with the new bumper was almost the same coming home as going. I'm not inclined to believe the weight of the bumper had any real impact. 

Recently I had need to do a similar motorway journey and distance. I ran 2mph slower this time by setting the speed limiter to 72 instead of 74. So gps speed was about 68mph. Which seemed bang on 3500rpm. 

On the way up I got 32.4mpg. This did involve some gentle dales driving. So on the way home I stopped and filled up and reset the trip. Before leaving the motorway the best I saw the average at was 34.6mpg with an average speed of 58mph. The total trip home saw it drop to 34.1mpg. 

Significantly less mpg than I had seen previously. :(

There are 3 changes to the vehicle between the two runs. 

1. some side bars from Jimnybits. But I really can't fathom these being the cause. Ultimately I know weight when accelerating will reduce mpg. But cruising the weight difference of the bumper and rails is just like having a passenger. And I simply don't subscribe that driving 2 up instead of just the driver would have such an impact on mpg. 

2. new transfer box. I noted the new transfer box makes more of a whine than the old one. Could this be causing the mpg drop somehow?

3. fitting of 215/75R15 Maxxis Wormdrive All Terrain tyres. I had these fitted fairly soon after the transfer box swap. I did say about feeling a performance drop once the tyres where fitted. But due to only doing short journeys at the time I struggle to recall how much of impact this was or the mpg drop vs when the transfer box was done. 

I know bigger more aggressive tyres can impact things like mpg. But the Wormdrive are only marginally bigger and less aggressive than a mud terrain. At best the mpg drop on a comparable run is 3.4mpg less. At worse it 6.1mpg less. Which all seems quite a lot. 

I don't have any other tyres to try to see if they are the sole cause. And I guess there is no way of proving or disproving if it is the transfer box. But a shame none the less. 
Last edit: 28 Feb 2021 11:35 by 300bhpton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Feb 2021 11:56 #233356 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Mpg down
On my old Cherokee when we bought it it had bfg Mt on it which were kept for about a month before going to ht. The mpg went up by 5.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Feb 2021 12:22 #233358 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Mpg down
I appreciate you're more into your motoring than I am, any vehicle I've had has cruised at its best when the revs are held at half the rev range.

On the tyre side of things Gadget posted an interesting thread about it:

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...-fuel-economy#219595

More
01 Mar 2021 19:45 #233377 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Mpg down
Not sure about how significant it is but larger diameter tyres have to rotate less to cover the same distance. So the car thinks its gone a lesser distance than it really has so it will calculate a lower mpg. Anyone know the relative circumference of the 2 tyres being compared? 

More
02 Mar 2021 08:54 - 02 Mar 2021 08:57 #233386 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Mpg down
lt will be your new tyres. The side steps won't make any difference, neither will the new transfer box.

On the motorway in our 2020 Jimny l can just about keep the MPG above 40, if l sit at 65mph.
This is with the manual transmission. lt's not anything near our VW Up GTi where l could get over 60mpg at the same speeds.

The tyres fitted as standard will be designed for economy, so that Suzuki can claim 40+ mpg. lf you fit more aggressive tyres it's going to impact on that by a few % which is what you've found.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2021 08:57 by lightning.

More
02 Mar 2021 09:56 #233387 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Mpg down

Bill Portland wrote: Not sure about how significant it is but larger diameter tyres have to rotate less to cover the same distance. So the car thinks its gone a lesser distance than it really has so it will calculate a lower mpg. Anyone know the relative circumference of the 2 tyres being compared? 

In theory the difference is only small. By the numbers the new tyres should be 10.5mm taller (diameter). Of course this would vary by brands and tread styles to how accurate they are to the numbers.

In reality I think the rolling radius is almost identical however. Using GPS to compare to the speedo, I see exactly the same results on the new tyres as I did on the old. So they must be less than 1mph difference. Not enough to cause mpg calcs to show any significant or noticeable change.

More
02 Mar 2021 09:59 #233388 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Mpg down

lightning wrote: lt will be your new tyres. The side steps won't make any difference, neither will the new transfer box.

On the motorway in our 2020 Jimny l can just about keep the MPG above 40, if l sit at 65mph.
This is with the manual transmission. lt's not anything near our VW Up GTi where l could get over 60mpg at the same speeds.

The tyres fitted as standard will be designed for economy, so that Suzuki can claim 40+ mpg. lf you fit more aggressive tyres it's going to impact on that by a few % which is what you've found.

Thanks.

I agree I think it is mostly tyres, but I'm seeing 10-20% reduction in mpg. Which seems a lot. I don't recall seeing such a difference on other vehicles, even when switching to highly aggressive mud terrains. Not sure I can fully rule out the transfer box. I know people report they do whine, so something must be making that whine. And that whine may well be friction related. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the transfer box, but the replacement one is noticeably louder than the original one. And original one was faulty. So there could still be some drivetrain efficiency differences occurring, but I'll never be able to prove/disprove this.

More
02 Mar 2021 10:52 #233390 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Mpg down
I don't know why you are whining so much. I get around 23mpg with my 235 Muddies

• Jimnyz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2021 11:22 #233391 by Jimnyz
Replied by Jimnyz on topic Mpg down
I've noticed a small change after going from the standard Bridgestone HT's to 215 75 15 Hankook AT2's. Before I was getting around 7 l/100km and now around 7.6l /100km. In MPG this is around 40 to around 37. Bad mathematics says this is around 9% worse on the AT's.

More
02 Mar 2021 13:15 #233397 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Mpg down
l am sure it's your tyres.
But as you say, the only way to prove it is to borrow a set of standard wheels/tyres and try them on a motorway run.

lf the transfer box had that much excess friction it would be very hot after such a journey and you'd likely feel/smell the heat from it.

More
02 Mar 2021 13:57 #233398 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Mpg down
You can forget the T/box. To loose that much mpg through friction would see the oil in the box boiling off.

Different tyres from different makers, all use different patterns and different "rubber" compounds to juggle between life and grip. Think F1 tyres and how fast they wear and the grip they provide for acceleration, cornering and braking.

Roger

More
02 Mar 2021 17:38 #233400 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Mpg down
300, my daily commute involves around 40 miles of Motorway driving. On the OE dueler H/T's I would nudge 40mpg. Since having 215/75/15 BFG's on Steel modulars that's dropped to around 32-33 mpg. I haven't done any other modifications that would add weight to the vehicle, the added rotational weight is the culprit!

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds