BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

JB74 Rattling noise driving me crazy.

• epc2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2021 03:19 #232821 by epc2
Hi guys,

Wanted to check if any of you have had a similar experience , I have a 2020 Jb74 , OME lift kit with 235/75/15 tyres and stock rims.

I have an annoying  ratling noise in teh back that has been increasing in the last few weeks and after checking all the possible causes , I have narrowed it down to the spare wheel/wheel mount , don't know if it's the mount tha's deffective or if the tyre is too big and heavy or what the heck is going on but it's driving me crazy for sure , everytime I drive on uneven surface or bumps it rattles and it's very annnoying.

After checking everything in the back I decided to remove the tyre and w/o the tyre it doesn't rattle at all , I don't have the lightest tyre @37lbs but i know guys that have tyres heavier than mine and with bike racks,loads etc and have 0 issues.

Just wanted to check if any of you guys had a similar experience and how did you resolve it.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2021 06:29 #232824 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. When you took the spare off I assume you did a spanner check of the bolts holding the carrier to the door and everything was tight? Also it might be worth popping the door trim off the inside and checking for anything obvious like a fatigue crack?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Feb 2021 07:16 #232825 by Soeley
Do you still have the standard spare wheel cover on? If you have removed it, it could be the small bracket that it fixes to as it fits between the spare wheel holder and spare wheel. I think the wheel cover pulls it tight when the nut is done up.

More
16 Feb 2021 07:33 #232826 by mlines
It's a bit early in its life, but heavier tyres on the door affect the hinges and door lock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Feb 2021 11:07 #232839 by Roger Fairclough
I suggest you put the wheel/tyre back on and then manually rock the wheel/tyre to try and narrow the noise down. if still not sure remove door trim and see if that helps. A stethoscope could be very useful.

Roger

• epc2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2021 13:24 - 16 Feb 2021 13:25 #232846 by epc2
Replied by epc2 on topic JB74 Rattling noise driving me crazy.

Lambert wrote: Welcome to the forum. When you took the spare off I assume you did a spanner check of the bolts holding the carrier to the door and everything was tight? Also it might be worth popping the door trim off the inside and checking for anything obvious like a fatigue crack?

Thanks , very nice community with lots of info,Yeah all the bolts are tight I checked them.

Last edit: 16 Feb 2021 13:25 by epc2.

• epc2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2021 13:26 #232847 by epc2
Replied by epc2 on topic JB74 Rattling noise driving me crazy.

Soeley wrote: Do you still have the standard spare wheel cover on? If you have removed it, it could be the small bracket that it fixes to as it fits between the spare wheel holder and spare wheel. I think the wheel cover pulls it tight when the nut is done up.

Mine didn't come with a cover.

• reguga2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2021 18:18 #234241 by reguga2
Replied by reguga2 on topic JB74 Rattling noise driving me crazy.
Did you find out what the noise is? Mine is doing the same, 215 ko2 brand new jimny 2000 km on clock. Without the tire it does not sound but with the tire mounted even when I close the rear door I can hear the rattle. I have narrowed it down to either the closing mechanisms or the pillar where the seat belt is.

Anyone else with this rattle? I know of other 3 local Jimnys with same noise.

More
04 Apr 2021 21:00 #234244 by Scimike
You all have my sympathy as a rattle can be annoying and drive you mad trying to locate.
Not G4 specific, but I have just found the annoying suspension knock and rear door rattle on my G3. The suspension knock was the wheel brace I had place in the rear jack storage area. The rear door rattle that I had narrowed down to the door latch / Pilar was the exhaust hitting the towbar!!!
I had convinced myself it was the door latch, but weight in the rear made it worse, so I kept looking as I did not understand why.
It's interesting that from the driving position the noise in both cases appeared to emanate from totally different locations to that eventually identified as the source..
I had to sit in the rear of the Jimmy whilst the wife travelled over the favourite rattle roads, even then it was not 100% clear as to the source.
So may be worth being a passenger and try to expand the possible causes.
Good luck.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 Apr 2021 08:02 #234252 by lightning
l've not had this on our Jimny but have had a similar rattle on the Defender.
Try some oil on the rear door hinges and check the door catch, put some grease on the catch and see if it stops the rattle.

• jb74fan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2021 03:19 #236605 by jb74fan
Replied by jb74fan on topic JB74 Rattling noise driving me crazy.
Hey epc2, I am experiencing the same issue with 215/75/15 tyres. Did you manage to find out what was causing the rattle?

More
12 Jul 2021 07:46 #236607 by lightning
The O/P has not been back since.

Looks like another Jimny owner who joined, asked a question about their car, got their reply and then disappeared never to return.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds