BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny Vs 2002

More
29 Jan 2021 13:06 - 29 Jan 2021 13:07 #232319 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
Not sure you'd save £20k

You'd need a decent gen 3 and they are £6k+ and then not sure how you'd turn it into a Gen 4

Both are great vehicles. l
lf your budget is £10k go for a nice Gen 3 and lose no money on it, as values are stable.
lf your budget is £20,000 buy a Gen 4 and benefit from the better refinement (probably lose no money on it either)
Last edit: 29 Jan 2021 13:07 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2021 23:08 #232337 by Goatboy
Replied by Goatboy on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
Thanks everyone. Some really good insights here. More I hear the more I like. Gen 3 definitely isnt for me. Been there done that, interesting option though it would be.

I'm guessing in terms of rear passenger space there isn't much in it between a gen 3 and a gen4?

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2021 07:57 #232342 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
Think busta may have missed a comma after £20k?

More
30 Jan 2021 09:16 #232345 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
Last time I looked used gen 4s are selling at around £25k. You can do a lot with a gen 3 for £5k. But obviously not if you start by buying a £6k one.
My 2003 has a 1.6, rear lsd, locked front diff, BFG ATs, new springs and shocks, roof rack, front and rear winch and has cost about £3.5k all in.
But if you don't want an older car or to get your hands dirty that's fair enough, unfortuanately the £20k difference won't apply to you.

Legroom in the gen 4s is the same as gen 3s.

More
30 Jan 2021 11:40 #232347 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
Locked front diff! Bet that's interesting on the road!

I paid £20,000 odd for my brand new Gen.4 The £3.5k would cover the cost of the extras but not the base vehicle, that's another £6k.

You still want save £20k.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2021 12:16 #232348 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
But a Jimny is rear wheel drive on the road with the front diff isolated, you could run a spool and it wouldn't make a difference on the road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
30 Jan 2021 12:17 #232349 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
...the looks you get driving down the street in a Gen 4 - priceless!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Jan 2021 12:22 #232350 by Lambert
And when the hot popular girl you fancied at school says that your gen3 is both cute and tough, nothing else matters for the rest of the year!

More
30 Jan 2021 13:13 #232351 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
The locked front diff makes no difference at all on the road.

£6k for a 2002 Jimny sounds a bit excessive. My 2003 was £800, which I've included in the £3,500 figure. But £2k should be plenty, especially if you consider a non-runner with an eye to swapping the engine out.

Either way there is still a significant difference in price, even more so if you want to modify the newer car too. But this is a bit of a pointless conversation because clearly people that have rationalised spending £20k+ for a Jimny will have a very different outlook to me and wouldn't consider the route I'd take as in any way comparable.

I guess to answer the OPs question directly: The gen4 is largely the same car with different body styling. Fundamentally it offers very little in terms of improvement over the previous model. It's still essentially a kei class car so it isn't more spacious. It still has a ladder chassis, live axles and uses virtually the same springs and shocks so the ride is still crashy and the handling is wayward. The interior is still basic. It's still fundamentally a cheap car, albeit one where demand has pushed prices up far above retail.

More
30 Jan 2021 13:51 #232352 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic 2019 Jimny Vs 2002
There was a string about various types of diff.lockers and the pros and cons of fitting them and in the main a variable type that allowed a degree of slip so that it could be used as much in the front as the back was the preferred way to go. Yes, a spool can be isolated and then the Jimny will be just another 2 wheel drive car and in the snow and ice it will remain in 2 wheel drive because of the danger of trying to drive it with a locked front diff. Try explaining that to the police or your insurance company when you plow straight on into a ditch. With a front diff. locked your motor has a problem, the front wheels want to go where they are pointed but at the same time they want to go straight on because that is what the spool is dictating. End result is a chaotic situation of thrashing wheels and you going somewhere between straight on and where you wanted to turn.
Oh and I would much rather that hot popular girl fancied me rather than my motor.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Jan 2021 14:10 #232353 by Lambert
Locking the front diff doesn't lock the steering, you can still negotiate corners. Also fitting a locked front diff is not something you are going to forget about doing to your car so there's a good chance that you will drive accordingly. As I have said before if you drive in difficult conditions like a rally driver with a death wish then you can expect problems.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 Jan 2021 14:22 #232354 by Lambert
Back on point. Personally I think the gen4 is trying too hard to be Retro and Cool, it also has too many driver distractions, sorry I mean driver aids. These gizmos seem to be cheap versions befitting the rrp of the car but consequently they are evidently not particularly user friendly, tpms and auto headlamps spring immediately to mind. Compared with my leviathan which has all these and was similar money age for age it being a Toyota the tech works seamlessly and unobtrusively. Also the 150 cruiser looks like a new Japanese car instead of something that would fit in in the 1980s.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds