BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:First service after 12 months

More
22 Jan 2021 17:47 - 22 Jan 2021 17:49 #232084 by lightning
Just had our 2020 Jimny serviced at the local Suzuki dealer.
Although it's 12 months old the mileage is only 3,300
The cost was £200 which seemed a little high, but looking at the invoice they've done more than just an engine oil change, they've changed the gearbox and transfer box oil as well.
Plus various other checks. lt can't be a bad thing to change the gearbox oil after the running in period, so l am very happy with the work that they have done.
They also did the 12 month bodywork anti corrosion check although l can't imagine there was much involved with that.

l will still service it myself once the warranty has run out though!
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 17:49 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2021 19:36 #232090 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic First service after 12 months
Mine's done the same mileage as yours. I'm going to hold off until the mileage is a bit higher because I'm not convinced that there will be a degradation in the engine oil after twelve months.

As I understand from reading other posts they only change the transfer box oil once, so would prefer to have greater mileage onboard before I have that done.

I'm standing by to be flamed.

More
22 Jan 2021 19:45 #232091 by Chappo
Mines done 1500 miles, oil service lights on but it will have to wait!
No reminder from my dealer though?

More
22 Jan 2021 20:58 #232095 by lightning
After the Jimny is out of its warranty and l start servicing it myself l will change the gearbox and transfer box oils every couple of years.
lt's an easy and cheap job, l've got a hand pump to get the oil in, as used on my Defender.

More
22 Jan 2021 20:59 - 22 Jan 2021 21:04 #232096 by lightning
To answer the comment above.

How would the dealer know that your oil service light has come on? Unless it comes on after 12 months regardless of mileage, in which case l guess they could send you reminder to bring it in, if they want the work.

My understanding was that the appearance of the "service" light is your reminder.

Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 21:04 by lightning.

More
22 Jan 2021 23:37 #232097 by Gadget
£200 seems pretty reasonable to me. Labour is prob c.£75/hr. Couple of hours work plus fluids.

More
23 Jan 2021 07:57 #232102 by Bill Portland
Just one point to bear in mind if you intend to service it yourself is that the bodywork inspection has to be done annually by a suzuki dealer in order to maintain the 12 year anti corrosion warranty (if its worth having).

More
23 Jan 2021 09:04 #232104 by lightning
Ah yes l forgot about that. l will speak to the dealer to see how much it costs to get that done, it may be in that case it has to be dealer serviced, but if a more involved service is only £200 then an annual oil change and check over shouldn't be expensive.

More
23 Jan 2021 13:08 #232111 by Scimike
I would read the small print before you get hung up about the dealer body inspection warranty. It's usually a perforation warranty (a rot hole), but I've not seen the Suzuki one, so don't know for sure. 
So if you service it yourself just keep the wax topped up or apply it yourself and it will be better protected than anything the dealer will offer under the warranty.
I don't like dealers, anyone noticed :D

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 Jan 2021 13:15 #232112 by lightning
Well yes, one thing was when l took it in the average fuel consumption was at 42mpg and when l got it back it was at 36mpg so l do wonder how they managed to get it down that much.
That must have been some enthusiastic road test that they did in the vehicle.

More
23 Jan 2021 14:09 #232113 by Soeley
They probably left it running on tick over for ages to get it up to temp, mpg soon drops that way.

More
24 Jan 2021 18:12 #232153 by Roger Fairclough
Lightning.
If you have your fuel consumption set to restart each time you fill up and the new mileage when you took it in for it's service was low, then it would not take much energetic driving to drop from 42 mpg to 36 mpg. Also 42 mpg is a good figure and would indicate a more sedate driving style than a mechanic who is testing the vehicle to see that it will do what it is supposed to do.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds