BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Just bought a 2001 Jimny with 55,000 miles

• HerefordJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2021 17:59 - 19 Jan 2021 18:01 #231960 by HerefordJimny
Just bought a 2001 Jimny with 55,000 miles was created by HerefordJimny
Hi all

I am completely new to both the forum and Jimnys. If I have posted this in the wrong section can I apologise and ask one of the moderators to move it please?

I just purchased a 2001 Jimny in red, with 55,000 miles on it from a family member up in Herefordshire. The Jimny was languishing, all alone and unloved in a field with a broken clutch. As I expressed an interest in a cheap car they agreed to fix the clutch, MOT it and sell it to me.

I have just had new auxiliary belts fitted as the old ones were brittle and screamed a lot. The garage recommended a radiator flush. Is there anything else I should do to it, considering it has been stood a while?
Last edit: 19 Jan 2021 18:01 by HerefordJimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2021 18:18 #231961 by Reason2doubt
Welcome to the forum! Not bad mileage for a 20-year-old car. 

If it were mine I would do all the oils and liquids, check the tyres for cracks and give it a good run at speed to see if the steering wobbles a bit past 30mph which would suggest it would need new kingpin's on the front axle. Might be worth checking the integrity of the battery if you can? Get a voltmeter on it or ask a garage to test it. 

• HerefordJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2021 18:36 #231962 by HerefordJimny
Replied by HerefordJimny on topic Just bought a 2001 Jimny with 55,000 miles
Thank you for the advice. I was thinking of an oil and filter change and possibly new oil for the front axle as I read here it is wise to keep that fresh.

There are no steering wobbles at all. It sits quite happily at 65 - 70 MPH on the motorway. It probably has a few more MPH in her before she runs out of puff. Not that I care, my boy racer days are behind me - well, mostly!

Its actually in pretty good nick, there is a ruck load of service history with it and I have had a good look underneath and the rear tray and mounting points all seem to be free of anything but surface rust. Unfortunately there is rust behind and under the headlamps.

Incidentally the headlamps are feeble, probably old cheap bulbs.

More
19 Jan 2021 19:10 #231963 by jackonlyjack
 Hi and welcome like Reason said above change all the oils
 When summer comes look at sorting as much rust as you can 

More
19 Jan 2021 20:18 #231964 by gv42
A JIMNY WELCOME FROM N/WALES

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds