BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Snow spikes

More
08 Jan 2021 17:17 #231618 by lookonimages
Snow spikes was created by lookonimages
Just saw this on instagram and it seem interesting concept sorry i have noidea what it is called.

Here in South Africa snow is kinda rare but this should be great for countries getting snow and ice on roads most of the year.

Unfortunately all japanese so i have no idea.

To all those that have lots of snow what is your take on this as i have no idea if this will work.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2021 18:55 - 08 Jan 2021 18:55 #231619 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Snow spikes
Whilst studs are illegal in the UK, most MT and some AT tyres are pre-drilled to take screw in studs so people could screw in studs.

Studs are illegal as the clearance policy is plough and salt which means studs would rip up the road surface. Studs are used in countries where the policy is to not clear the roads and driving is on compressed snow.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 08 Jan 2021 18:55 by mlines.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Jan 2021 19:28 #231620 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Snow spikes
We have had about 6 to 8 inches of snow today and even with all season tyres rather than full winters, Dreadnaught has just gripped and moved regardless.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2021 20:07 #231621 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Snow spikes
Reminds me of the last time we had a decent amount of snow, stopped to recover a vw Polo in a snow drift, I have an Isuzu Dmax which was on bfg a/t so reasonable in the snow. Guy waiting to get past in a newish Range Rover parked in a bit of a snow bank, when the road was clear he went to drive off, brilliant to watch his face as he gave it full beans with snow flying everywhere trying to get going, snow and ice button not much use when you have garden rollers for tyres.
Went on a Land Rover experience with a mate who has an Evoque, it was on frozen ground, told at the top of a hill, just let it make its own way down, we were like a four man bob! Again tyres are probably more use than clever electronics, incidentally we weren't allowed in any water holes because floating ice had punctured two Range Rover radiators! Best 4x4 by far......

More
08 Jan 2021 23:57 #231630 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Snow spikes
In Austria spike tyres are allowed under some circumstances. Regarding the picture I would think these are like snow chains and snow chains are also allowed if the road is covered in snow and sometimes they are mandatory on mountain passes. So depending on the road conditions it does make sense to carry snow chains in the car
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
09 Jan 2021 06:34 #231634 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Snow spikes

RainerK wrote: In Austria spike tyres are allowed under some circumstances. Regarding the picture I would think these are like snow chains and snow chains are also allowed if the road is covered in snow and sometimes they are mandatory on mountain passes. So depending on the road conditions it does make sense to carry snow chains in the car

Just wondering about effectiveness of these rubber studded "chain".

Surely it must be at least little quieter than the chains.

Anyway thanks all for your insights

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
09 Jan 2021 21:13 #231647 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Snow spikes

I Just bought these for the winter season.
The old tires 5-6 years old was too old and hard for winter driving. 
Here you get a very large fine if you get trouble on winter roads with summer tires. 
Nordic winter tires is a must, but you can get away with snowflake three peaks marking. 
But there are also a fee to pay if i want to drive to like Oslo with these tires. 

Between april and november spiked tires are not allowed

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Jan 2021 07:26 #231653 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Snow spikes
Everything you tell us about life Norway makes me think it really is quite a sensible place to live.

More
10 Jan 2021 12:53 - 10 Jan 2021 12:57 #231663 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Snow spikes
The price for sheep is lousy for the herders. consumers only want lamb so the herders get like less than 1 NOK pr kilo from the slaughters. Not too perfect :)

10 NOK is 1 GBP

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2021 12:57 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Jan 2021 18:39 #231672 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Snow spikes
It's not much better here which is why we produce breeding sheep instead of fat stock.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds