BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

TPMS Irritation

More
04 Jan 2021 23:22 #231501 by Bob1050
TPMS Irritation was created by Bob1050
Freezing weather and the TPMS warning system flashed up on the screen - along with an ice warning. Now what was rather interesting was that just before Christmas the Jimny had its annual service and that included checking/setting the tyre pressures. So off I went into the freezing weather and checked the tyre pressures - which were all a consistent 2 psig under the recommended setting - then I had to dig the manual out and faff around resetting the system. I'd happily bin this technology tomorrow - it adds absolutely zero benefits to my ownership experience - I rate this simply as 'Technology looking for a home - an irritant'. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2021 23:26 - 04 Jan 2021 23:27 #231502 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic TPMS Irritation
lt would be a benefit if you got a puncture while on the motorway, the warning of tyre deflation could save your life, particularly in a Jimny where a flat tyre could seriously affect the handling.

Last edit: 04 Jan 2021 23:27 by lightning.

More
05 Jan 2021 01:33 #231503 by MrChips
Replied by MrChips on topic TPMS Irritation
You can of course check the Pressures from inside the car, through the TPMS menu :) Press and hold right button etc.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2021 06:08 #231508 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic TPMS Irritation
Unfortunately because we live in a society where personal accountability is virtually zero and the vast majority of people see vehicles as a necessary evil instead of something to enthuse over, all these little gimmick things are enshrined in laws and here to stay because the rest of the population cannot be trusted to not need them.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Jan 2021 09:57 #231517 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic TPMS Irritation
As long as the tyre pressures are set correctly when cold, the system works as intended and sits happily in the background. Obviously when the cold weather come the tyres want topping up to correct the pressure, which is something that should be done with TPMS or not.

My only slight give with the system is if you want to air down your tyrs for some off road driving.

More
05 Jan 2021 10:23 #231518 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic TPMS Irritation
I would also prefere that in 4WD-L the minimum set pressure goes down to 12 or 13psi because especially when driving off road with intentionally low tyre pressure the system would have helped me to avoid damaged tyres.

More
05 Jan 2021 12:03 #231521 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic TPMS Irritation

lightning wrote: lt would be a benefit if you got a puncture while on the motorway, the warning of tyre deflation could save your life, particularly in a Jimny where a flat tyre could seriously affect the handling

Yes they could, but this is reliant upon the owner correcting the warning before the journey commences rather than just ignoring the warning. Unfortunatly as these systems tend to be a bit trigger happy, the mayority of owners just ingnore the warning, a case of "cry wolf" too many times.
It would be better if it was much lower pressure trigger and a failure alarm, rather than an ignore me warning. Better for us off road types also that may wish to run lower pressures than standard.
Personally happy not to have this bit of tech.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 Jan 2021 18:13 #231541 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic TPMS Irritation
The problem with the tyre pressure service check is that it could be last on the service schedule so your motor will have been in a warm w/shop for some time so allowing the tyres to warm up and the pressures to be taken at what would appear to be Summer time. Finish the service, take it for a run, the warning lights stay off because the drop in temp. in the tyres is compensated by the warmth generated by driving.

But come next morning. :(

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2021 18:37 #231542 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic TPMS Irritation
I found it best to check my tryes early in the morning before the sun got on them.  With the car facing east, the two left tyres, in the sun, were quite warm to the touch by shopping time and the left tyre pressures were up by 4psi! 

This solar effect could be used to lift the pressusrs over the TPMS minimum, however you would need to rotate the car once one side was warm. 

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds