BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny 55 plate CD Player not working

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2021 17:30 #231456 by DerkDiglett
Jimny 55 plate CD Player not working was created by DerkDiglett
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me please with an issue that I am having with my 55 plate Jimny. The radio/CD player brings the following error code up when I insert any CDs “CDERROR6”. I have tried several different CDs and I know that they all work in other CD players. Does anyone know how to fix this issue please? Also, I can’t seem to store any radio stations via any of the 6 radio station buttons either? Any help on this would be much appreciated! I have attached a photo of the audio system for further information. Thank you and a a Happy New Year to you all!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2021 20:45 #231460 by Scimike
Hi and a happy new year to you.
Looks like the standard Clarion fitted to many Jimnys, if so then error06 is could not read data from disc because it is upside-down.
Assuming it's not upsidedown then it's likely just having difficulty reading the CD. The most likely cause is a dirty or faulty optical reader head. You can try cleaning the head as a first pass, plenty of how to videos on YouTube about cleaning such device's.
This may work, but I have a feeling CD failure is the common fault on these units.

If it's anything like my (now removed) Clarion the radio reception was very poor, so much so it was the reason I removed it. Have you considered going to something better?
May be the cheaper option if cleaning the optic head does not fix your issue.
Good luck, hope it works

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DerkDiglett

More
03 Jan 2021 22:10 #231463 by DrRobin
It’s probably the laser or sensor, most cd drives have a limited lifetime. There are plenty for sale on auction sites, but I would rip it out and replace with an Android double DIN head unit, then you will get sat nav, mp3, hands free, music on SD card, etc.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2021 21:35 #231498 by DerkDiglett
Replied by DerkDiglett on topic Jimny 55 plate CD Player not working
Hi Scimike,

Thank you for your advice, I am thinking about upgrading and a clock would be handy too! Is there any you would recommend please?

Any good places to go? Are there many different suitable radios that will directly fit in the dashboard?

Thanks again,

Derk

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2021 21:37 #231499 by DerkDiglett
Hi DrRobin,

Thank you for your advice, I am thinking about upgrading and a clock would be handy too! Is there any you would recommend please?

Any good places to go? Are there many different suitable radios that will directly fit in the dashboard?

Thanks again,

Derk

More
04 Jan 2021 22:12 - 04 Jan 2021 23:02 #231500 by Scimike
Hi Derk,
​​​​​​ Most single and double din headunits will actually "fit". That is once the Clarion is removed you have enough space to fit one. The down side is the shape of the Clarion which has rounded edges, most replacement units are more square in shape. You need a moulded fascia filler to bridge the gap from the new headunit to the dashboard surround, or a replacement dashboard surround with a standard square hole.

I went for the replacement dashboard option which can be expensive. However in the UK Halfords have offers and I got the dash, Sony Double din headunit and all converter leads plus fitting for £99.  I also worked at the store at the time so fitted it myself during work. :D
So I am not the best to suggest a filler fascia option, but others have done this and will be along soon.

Well worth upgrading, you just need to pick a single or double din headunit first. This will change which bits you need to fill the gap.

This is mine, double din Sony WX900BT. Happy with it but as time passed wished I had looked at Android head units simply for sat nav. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jan 2021 23:02 by Scimike.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2021 06:00 #231505 by Lambert
I just fitted a single din Sony in mine and blanked off the remaining with aluminium so I can mount a torch and a phone holder in easy reach. It doesn't look factory at all but it's also much less enticing for an opportunist to put a window through. If I remember I'll put a picture up later.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2021 19:31 #231544 by DerkDiglett
Hi Scimike,

That looks really good, thank you for the picture too.

I'll have to take a look at Halfords then I think because I want it to look as good as possible.

Thank you for the model number too as this really helps.

Thanks,

Derk

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2021 19:33 #231545 by DerkDiglett
Hi Lambert,

I totally get what you mean and due to the lack of security (mine is a soft top) putting one as you have described may be the way to go!

A picture of your installation would be great if you wouldn't mind putting one up?

Thanks again,

Derk

More
05 Jan 2021 22:13 #231553 by DrRobin
Hi,

I bought a Xtrons double DIN head unit with rounded corners, fits perfectly. Mine was an Android 8.1, they don’t seem to sell it now and the one they do sell is a lot more expensive.

Search Xtrons Jimny for the current model

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DerkDiglett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2021 15:32 #231568 by DerkDiglett
Hi DrRobin,

Thank you for your reply, I have got in touch with Xtrons to confirm whether or not the current model is suitable for my gen 3 55 plate Jimny.

Thank you for your help and if this is suitable I may go for this one!

Thanks,

Derk

More
07 Jan 2021 14:28 #231577 by DrRobin
Hi Derk,

I have the Xtrons PR78JMSL (this is the older model) and it fits perfectly, see pics.

The current model is an IN70JMSL, list price is a fair bit more than I paid for the PR78, but it is a later faster model.  Photos of it show rounded corners so it should fit without a problem.

Someone is listing them on eBay for £215, search for Xtrons Jimny as they don't show the part number in the title, only the details below.  You get GPS (Sat nav), wifi, Bluetooth, hands free but not DAB, TPMS, Cameras, OBD these are optional modules, around £20 -£30 each.  I added these as options, but in all honesty the Xtrons DAB is rubbish, I have two of them and one DAB dongle failed, Xtrons refused to do anything with it, saying the warranty was only 3 months.  I reported them to Amazon (the retailer) but didn't get anywhere and bought a cheap DAB stick from eBay (£20) which works just as well.

I installed Here (Sat nav) and download the maps to internal memory as it allows you to cache the maps and has what I consider to be a proper Sat Nav display, easy to use with good search.  I have a link to my iPhone for music, but it was easier to put all of my music on a SD disk and then bought 'Poweramp' music player (about £5), that is much better than the stock music player.

I have another Xtrons head unit in my other car, it's a later model, so might be similar to the new one for the Jimny.  Xtrons don't make these, just re-badge and sell them on.  Their manuals are fairly poor and their tech support not that great, it is usually re-install the software, so if you get one and run in to problems give me a shout.  XDA-developers forum/website is probably the best resource for real help on Android head units, some of the guys on there know them inside out.  I run DAB-z app for DAB, the developer is on XDA-developers and is really helpful, he fixes bugs quickly and DAB-z is free, amazing.

Good luck

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds