BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Alternator again!!!?,!

More
29 Dec 2020 22:54 - 29 Dec 2020 23:02 #231320 by Fossie
My daughters jimny has gone all French on us ....The electrics have gone on strike for no apparant reason.
Obviously this would happen when every where is closed for 2 weeks .
Anyway she has mine for the short term ......The alternator has stopped charging according to rescue chappie...which would coincide with the lights being duller and duller and going out when she braked ..

Our issue is . The alternator is only 13 months old..the water pump is new in last year...3 fan belts in 2 years ....the garage have checked the pulley and insist that is fine But there can't be anything else can there?
There has been some squealing , but not when I drove it or the mechanic .

It's going take a 'conversation' about an alternator just over 12 months old by a few weeks.:whistle:

Is it time to call time and free it from her tenure , she has just had it MOT'd and the welding done , but the brakes require Fetling, but because she is down south she is reliant on her local garage. Who are not shisters it seems.

Thoughts ?
Last edit: 29 Dec 2020 23:02 by Fossie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Dec 2020 05:05 #231323 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Alternator again!!!?,!
I would stick with it if I were you especially if it's just been tested. They cheapest car is the one you already own. Its a pity we don't have any alternative than to replace things like alternators, there was a time you'd get it repaired by a man in a shed.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Dec 2020 09:43 #231327 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Alternator again!!!?,!
I agree, stick with it. Re Alternator it looks like you have just got a bad one. Maybe secondhand OEM is better than cheaper made in China out of Chinesium.
You can still get it repaired here in (third world) Stoke on Trent by a nice man in a workshop, repairs starter motors also. He's fixed mine for years and a better option if you can wait a day or two for him to refurbish it.
Anyone local to you, worth a check?
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
01 Mar 2021 23:43 #233382 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Alternator again!!!?,!
So ......it's been a couple on months and all good apparently , but  Robyn has lost patience/ confidence with her jimny ....mine is still still with her , so today I went to collect hers to bring home to use it here and get to the bottom of the issue ....if indeed it is still relevant.
   But mine decided to stick the right rear brake on so tight even in 4wd that wheel won't even slide ....the clutch smelled though.
bugger ...so the local garage will need to have a gander. I returned sans jimny!

This evening when she used hers ...it squealed .
In conversation with a lad from the Ignis sport club this is also a problem with M13,engines because there seems to be 2 alternator belts , one is longer by just a touch say 15 mm..is this because the vvti engine and non vvti are different and when a new belt is ordered by registration number , you will always get the one the drop down box lists?    Is this a possibility ?
 I feel I will change the crank pulley when I can anyway , as the water pump has been done , new belts both 3x ( see possible reason above)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Mar 2021 06:22 #233385 by Lambert
The alternator belt should be a 4pk850 and whilst you could go a few mm either way there would be enough in the alternator slides to get tension. Personally I had a negative outcome with Gates belts couldn't get them to not squeal so got Dayco and everything is fine.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fossie

• Sick Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2021 21:16 #233409 by Sick Nick
Replied by Sick Nick on topic Alternator again!!!?,!
Have you tried belt dressing spray?

More
02 Mar 2021 23:46 #233411 by Fossie
No I haven't , but then it's been dealt with 3 red party so to speak,.
Stuff me if today the recovery chap arrived to drag the one with stuck brake on .....and if had soddin'freed off......

So I should bringing it back up here soon so will check belts and pulley , so will add dressing spray ....it can't harm can it" cheers .

More
20 Mar 2021 23:27 #233869 by Fossie
Got a new crank pulley on order, aswell as a dayco belt ..
To night I noticed that when I turned on the headlights there was a ...let's say whistle , kinda electrical type ...when I turned it down to sidelights , t stopped...h/ lights on whistle ..The alternator is just 2 months old

Very odd the radio occasionally looses the station but then finds the one it was on ...
Connected? ( pun intended or not !).

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Mar 2021 06:18 #233872 by Lambert
Was the alternator a rebuild or a new one and if so from where?

More
21 Mar 2021 10:17 #233875 by Fossie
It was a new alternator but as it was my daughters local garage that did the job ...only charged her for the alternator not labour as it was just out of warranty ...so not a case of just making money!   
So basically there local parts supplier I guess ...they are in Princes Risbourgh ( near Wycombe) ....so whom ever people use there.
 Hoping to get this sorted in next few weeks so she can finally come home to visit her friends up here and go home in hers ....serviced cleaned and a new bill of health.  

More
27 Mar 2021 21:28 - 27 Mar 2021 21:36 #234075 by Fossie
Got the new crank pulley and dayco belt, decided to ask local mechanic to fit it because having perused these pages it seems a pig of a job, Anyway he charged me £60 ...including taking rad off , cleaning the water pump pulley grooves on his bench ....and yep I wouldn't have got the old pulley off without an impact tool!
  The old pulley wasn't sepreated or seems damaged ...bugger ......then on a closer inspection their seemed to be a machined notches in the grooves ...very odd.... 

Then with a screw driver blade I found out it was old bits of rubber and grit  basically the grooves were about 1mm full the 'machined' notches the clear bits!..so maybe this could account for slippage .....we will see. 
Just the King pins and rear shocks to do while I've got it .....
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2021 21:36 by Fossie.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds