BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

NEW

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2020 15:13 #230555 by Craigyh1990
NEW was created by Craigyh1990
Hi there can any one tell me if the expansion tank needs filling with coolant my temps sits fine just see it has a tank there that seems to be empty as I said in a post before I’m new to Jimnys hope some one can help thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2020 15:23 #230556 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic NEW
Hi,
The expansion tank should have a fill line marked about half way up and should normally contain coolant. Fill when cold.
I assume this is the same for all Generation 3's, not sure if it ever changed over the years of manufacture.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2020 15:31 #230557 by Craigyh1990
Replied by Craigyh1990 on topic NEW
Looks like a overflow bottle type thing

More
01 Dec 2020 16:20 #230558 by Scimike
Should look like this

You can see the fill line moulded into the plastic about half way up.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2020 16:50 #230560 by Craigyh1990
Thats the one I took rad cap off also can’t see nothing in there there from the cap hole the tempature sits just fine even with heating on or off and had a look for leaks the pipes get nice and hot coming from the radiator do I need to top both up ?

More
01 Dec 2020 17:14 - 01 Dec 2020 17:15 #230562 by Scimike
It should be half full of coolant when the engine is cold.
As the engine warms up the coolant within expands and is pushed past the radiator cap into this expansion bottle. As the engine cools the water contracts, this then sucks the water from the bottle back into the engine.
Its possible you are running the engine block low on coolant if its not pushing coolant into this bottle when its hot, even if the temperature gauge says all is ok.

I would top it up to half way, go for a drive then let it all cool. Check its still at half level, if not top up again. You should always have a half full bottle after every run with a cool engine (about 1 inch above half way line with hot engine). If you are continually topping this bottle up you have a leak.

Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 17:15 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyh1990

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2020 17:22 #230563 by Craigyh1990
Thankyou il try that so I don’t need to put any in the radiator ?

More
01 Dec 2020 18:46 #230566 by Scimike
Normally no, you do everything via the expansion bottle.
However as yours may be low on coolant it's worth undoing the radiator cap and filling to the very top. Make sure the engine is cold before you go near the radiator cap. Then replace the radiator cap and half fill the expansion bottle. Then go for a drive and recheck the expansion bottle level once the engine is cool, top up if required.

More
01 Dec 2020 23:06 #230579 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic NEW
Agreed, it looks a little low on coolant. I would fill the expansion tank to the fill line when cold. If it goes down, then you have a leak somewhere. Don’t worry about it going up when it is hot, that is the purpose of the expansion tank.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds