BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Total nebie here

More
02 Dec 2020 16:11 #230601 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Total nebie here
Great, glad you like it, welcome to the next chapter in 4x4 ownership.

My Gen 3 is not really suited to motorway driving, I think it's better suited to about 60mph than 70mph and I find that after a couple of hours driving at those speeds I start to get tired, whereas when I had a BMW X3 you could sit all day at 70mph and get out fresh.

Still as you say, not really designed for those roads and my Jimny is much better at almost everything else than an X3, apart from towing.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gilling Red
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2020 17:35 #230608 by Gilling Red
Replied by Gilling Red on topic Total nebie here
Will sort some photo's tomorrow. Can anybody suggest some decent front seat cover ? Not bothered about rear seat covers as the rear seats will be folded down for the most part.

More
02 Dec 2020 19:23 #230612 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Total nebie here
Glad you like the Jimny, l find that 65mph is the best speed although it will do more.
Just set the cruise control and let the
idiots fly past at 90mph.
Underneath the Jimny is pretty much Defender except everything is about 2/3 the size!
Also it's not full time 4x4 of course, but that saves in fuel and you don't need it anyway in normal driving.

l like the fact that it has proper selector levers for the transmission and not some menu or touch screen.

l would advise you get the Suzuki rubber mat for the rear, when the seats are folded down, it's really good quality.

The rear seat head rests can be stored in the passengers seat back pocket.

More
04 Dec 2020 22:09 #230667 by lightning
How are you liking the Jimny after a few days use?

• Gilling Red
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2020 11:39 #230677 by Gilling Red
We drove back from Huddersfield to Helmsley. Which was a mix of Motorway and rural B roads. Quite surprised with the Motorway drive, nice and steady at 65 mph. did notice movement due to strong cross winds, The rural roads were fine once you got to understand the steering, After years of Defender ownership it is quite a change. I've spent the last couple of days giving it a good undersealing as it had only 30 miles on the clock so decided to give it the best start in life. The roads out here in rural North Yorkshire are filthy with farm traffic.

More
05 Dec 2020 14:08 #230686 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Total nebie here
The gen.4 engine is very quiet. I fitted a sound reduction kit that included bonnet pads - 8 in total - and the usual interior gubbins. 70 mph in top gear equals 3,5oo rpm which I find acceptable. I certainly doesn't drown out the music and vibration is non existent. There is a 12 year anti corrosion warranty that requires yearly inspections but that is hardly going to take more than an hour and you will have peace of mind. If you speak to the service dept. and voice your worries they may have dealt with a local company who could offer first hand knowledge that would suit your needs. The standard suspension set-up is ok as it goes but can easily be unsettled by standard combinations of poor road surfaces allied to bad maintenance - or total lack of - but this can be corrected by a change of shocks and or springs. If you find the standard set-up ok for you then fine. If you want to improve what you have by a change of shocks, then they are available. If you want a slightly improved stance then lift kits up to 50 mm are available but I would suggest you stop at 50 mm as lots of other things need doing once you try for 75 mm or above.
I come from the land of the Land-cruiser and the difference is considerable. Yes I would want the Cruiser for heavy towing and laning through terrain that will leave scratches and battle scars but nowadays I want gentile refinement and the Jimny gives me that in spades.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Dec 2020 16:40 #230691 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Total nebie here
Having had a 90 pickup and now having a gdj155 commercial I am confident that of the 3 the rover was decidedly the least pleasant certainly from an ergonomics perspective, needed looking after a lot and was quite loud too. The cruiser is definitely the most civilised but also a current model so has more development and mod cons, quite heavy though which for my specific off road work is against it except for it's when towing. Personally they are all capable but I find that the Jimny especially Dreadnaught is the most potent off road. The lack of size and associated lack of mass coupled with competent tyres and suspension mean we go places the other 2 can't or more accurately make less mess and require less effort to get to the same place or further. Between the pair of Dreadnaught and Leviathan there's really isn't a task that can't be accomplished and it'd have to be something truly special to make me want a change.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Dec 2020 17:56 - 05 Dec 2020 19:08 #230695 by lightning
lf only Land Rover had done with the Defender what Suzuki have done with the Gen 4 Jimny they would have a world beater on their hands.
lf Suzuki did it for £18,000 then surely Land Rover could have done it for under £30,000.

lnstead of that, what they've produced is a vehicle that's no doubt highly accomplished but starts at £45,000 and is no more useful, or better than, a Discovery 4.

I think this will mean the Jimny remains popular, it's just a shame that it's no longer imported to the UK, however according to the motoring press it's to be re introduced as a two seater commercial version early in 2021.

No sign of that yet on the Suzuki website, but hopefully it will happen.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2020 19:08 by lightning.

• Gilling Red
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2020 10:33 #230783 by Gilling Red
Well got out onto the mucky stuff this morning, one of my shooting permissions. Very misty very mucky. Jimny took it in her stride. Not sure how to post a photo.
Attachments:

• Gilling Red
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2020 14:55 - 09 Dec 2020 15:04 #230793 by Gilling Red
Out in the mud for the first time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2020 15:04 by Gilling Red.

More
09 Dec 2020 15:41 #230794 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Total nebie here
Nice.

All it needs now is a gun rack.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
09 Dec 2020 18:06 #230797 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Total nebie here

Gilling Red wrote: Will sort some photo's tomorrow. Can anybody suggest some decent front seat cover ? Not bothered about rear seat covers as the rear seats will be folded down for the most part.

I have the Escape Gear seat covers, they have been absolutely marvelous. They still look like the day I fitted them, 2 years later.
They also give you the option of just buying the front set.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds