BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Using a washer to repair oval hole in suspension - can you recall location ?

More
23 Nov 2020 20:06 #230332 by Scimike
Hi All,
I am sure during my time on this forum that someone (or more than one?) went about repairing an oval hole in part of the suspension mounting with a washer, to make the hole round again.
Sorry I can't be more specific, but I am hoping someone can recall this and remember the location of said oval hole. Chassis / axle etc.

It's a long shot but I have a light "knock" from under the vehicle that only happens on light undulations or if I touch the brakes. To me it sounds like a bolt moving in a hole, and no amount of bouncing the car will make it happen (when stationary). I am focusing on it being a rotational force on the suspension components (brakes) rather than a vertical movement (me bouncing it in the yard like a mad man): :laugh:

If you can recall I will take a look in said location. just trying to find a noise that's not that bad, but now I've heard it I can't stop listening.

Ta
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2020 20:23 #230333 by mlines

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
23 Nov 2020 20:37 #230334 by Scimike
Wow that was quick.
Yes that's it.
Thanks Martin.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
01 Dec 2020 22:39 #230576 by Scimike
Nope not an oval axle hole, checked a the weekend.

Good news though, found if I stand on the passenger side sill and ride it like a surfboard I can get the noise to emanate from below. Just need to teach the better half at the weekend how to surf so I can lie below and take a look.
It's a hobby, nothing better to do :laugh:

More
02 Dec 2020 22:36 #230619 by X8GGY
Nice when family take an interest and help out ;) I sometimes manage to get the wife to help / hold / wiggle too...

And here's our youngest daughter helping out in 2017 when she would have been 15, after puling on a shaft so that Dad could get the diff out...!

Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2020 20:52 #230664 by Scimike
Found the suspension knock.
Had the wife, sons girlfriend, son and anyone passing who expressed an interest rocking the Jimny until it was sick.
Everyone agreed it was drivers side rear suspension, turn out to be the Jack in the under floor cubby hole. It may have moved on one of the many council supplied canyon pot holes.
Still it's a result :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Soeley

More
05 Dec 2020 05:11 #230669 by X8GGY

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Dec 2020 05:30 #230670 by Lambert
Gotta love it when they send these little noises to annoy you, it's just their way of communicating with the boss human!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds